Home Open Account Help 374 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Hungarian Locomotive Info Needed, Please

Date: 12/28/15 17:22
Hungarian Locomotive Info Needed, Please
Author: moonliter

Locomotive 418 112 waiting to depart Veszprém for Györ on October 2nd, 2015.  Photo by my wife Kathleen Kot.

I'm in the process of labelling my photos of recent trip to Hungary.  I wanted to venture out Budapest so I took a side trip to Pannonhalma via Veszprém and returning to Budapest via Gyõr.  All I can find out about the locomotive on my train out of Veszprém was it is a B - B, diesel hydraulic.  Who built it, where and when?  I met two young railfans on the train, one spoke a little English said I was lucky to have locomotive hauled train as most of the time the service uses rail-buses. 

Does anyone know a good source of a MÁV locomotive roster?  I can not seem to find much on the internet other than photos.

Thank-you in advance for any information offer.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa Canada 

Date: 12/28/15 17:53
Re: Hungarian Locomotive Info Needed, Please
Author: chs7-321

"418" is a fairly recent class designation for this.

They are more commonly known as an M41.

http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/hungary/hungary_mav_loc.html

Date: 12/28/15 21:08
Author: SOO6617

There seems to be a good roster on the MAV-TRACIO wikipedia page of the Hungarian(Magyar) Wikipedia. I couldn't link to the page as the accents don't convert.

Switch from the English Wikipedia to the Magyar Wikipedia, then type "MAV-START zrt" in the search field. Once you are on the MAV-START page scroll to the bottom until you see MAV-TRACIO and click on it. If you are using Chrome, Google will translate for you.

MAV-START is the Hungarian passenger operator
MAV-TRACIO is the "owner" of the rolling stock

MAV = Magyar AllamVasutak = Hungarian State Railways 

Date: 12/31/15 08:47
Author: McKey

Thanks for sharing this interesting looking train picture!

Chs, do I detect some features of M62 loco here?

Date: 01/01/16 13:28
Author: chs7-321

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Chs, do I detect some features of M62 loco here?

Besides them both being diesel and Bo-Bo, I don't really think there would be.  :)

M62 is the M62 (it was originally built by Lugansk for Hungary, hence the designation).  This thing is either Hungarian- or Romanian-made (not sure and too lazy to look up at the moment).

Date: 01/01/16 22:44
Author: McKey

Just thought since M62 has various designation in various countries, besides its own, so anything resembling it is worth asking :)

Here is just one of the many:

Date: 01/02/16 12:21
Author: SOO6617

I forgot to name the builder of the Class 418 locomotive which is Ganz-MAVAG. of Budapest. The diesel engine was built by the same company.

Date: 01/06/16 18:26
Author: 86235

SOO6617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I forgot to name the builder of the Class 418
> locomotive which is Ganz-MAVAG. of Budapest. The
> diesel engine was built by the same company.

The engine was a French SEMT Pielstick design built under licence.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds