Home Open Account Help 384 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Norwegian signal question

Date: 01/26/16 13:52
Norwegian signal question
Author: RNinRVR

I have been watching the Finse, Norway cam for some time now and have a question concerning the signals there. The cam is looking west toward a snow shed and the station building is to the left of the tracks. On the track closest to the cam there is one visible signal down by the shed and on the away track there are 2 signals. The closest seems to go with the one closest to the cam but the one further away stays red except for one occasion when I saw it green just prior to a piece of MoW equipment motor west on the far track. The attached picture shows what I am talking about. The closest 2 signals are showing clear, 2 small lights which are green, and the further signal is just a bright light, it is red. There are 2 flashing lights between the closer signals and the one further away so do not get them confused, they are for a pedestrain crossing. The freight on the left was waiting for a west bound to clear the single track.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/16 13:53 by RNinRVR.

Date: 01/27/16 12:59
Re: Norwegian signal question
Author: czephyr17

I too have been watching this cam and will be interested in any answers to the signal question.  The snowshed in the distance is over the interlocking plant (end of siding), which is a smart idea, saves a lot of snow removal costs.  There is a third track on the north side of the siding that appears to lead to one or two team type tracks.  I wonder if the north side signal controls movements from that track, but don't understand why it would be green at the same time as the main line (left) signal is green.  The green light, the color of which is distinguishable during daylight, is like a position light signal with two green lights positioned vertically.  However the red light seems to be a single light.

Incidentally, the building to the left in the cam shot is a hotel.  The cam is attached to the west side of depot, which is behind the cam and therefore not visible.

Date: 01/27/16 14:03

I have looked closely as the signals change and the red seems to be in the middle between the 2 green lights. As far as the further 2 light signal, I was watching last night and there was a meet between west and east bound freights. The west bound was on the siding, furthest from the cam, stopped. Once the east bound came by the west bound got the furthest signal for his green not the closer one with the 2 green lights. I know that it is not a function of the type of train since I have seen the closest signal used for freights.

​Did what I should have done previously, Googled it.  http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Norwegian_railway_signaling

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/16 14:05 by RNinRVR.

Date: 01/27/16 15:27
Author: Steinzeit

This is a possible explanation for the "green" lights that appear to be independent of the rest of the signal system indications  [ although I admit to not being sure exactly what the question is.....]

NSB use wayside signals to indicate that status of road [ grade ] crossings, eg, are the warning lights and barriers if applicable closed to road traffic;  I believe these function independently of the 'train' signalling wayside indications per se, although I think they are tied into the ATC system.
It appears the road crossing there within the station limits is an 'on demand' type, ie, it is normally closed to road traffic.  For those of you watching this camera, the next time there is any road traffic going across, see if those signals in question turn to red.

Best, SZ

Date: 01/28/16 08:11

Actually the signals in question are red unless there is a west bound train approaching when they will change to green about 5 minutes prior to the trains arrival. The second signal only seems to indicate green when there is a train on the passing track and he has the route lined for him.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 02/05/16 14:57
Author: tskram

The link below should clarify the quetion

Norwegian lisht signal aspects
This is the signals you see. The two tracks converge to single track when entering the snow shed
Finse photo

Aerial photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/16 15:19 by tskram.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0783 seconds