Home Open Account Help 328 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Virgin East Coast unveils the new Virgin Azuma!

Date: 03/20/16 11:20
Virgin East Coast unveils the new Virgin Azuma!
Author: tq-07fan

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/news/new-announcement/

What I am most interested in is all the new places Virgin East Coast will go to. Direct services to Huddersfield. Would they go to Huddersfield by leaving the line from Doncaster to Leeds at Hare Park Junction south of Wakefield? Also going to Middlesboro which looks like jumping off the ECML at Northallerton. Lincoln which looks like coming around the connection at Newark and Harrogate which means running through Leeds. Are these new Azuma trains going to have off wire capability or will catenary be strung to all these new places?

Jim

Date: 03/20/16 11:35
Re: Virgin East Coast unveils the new Virgin Azuma!
Author: Farningham

13 of the 23 new units are bi-mode, the spec. requires them to be able to switch from overhead electric propulsion to using their internal diesel engines at line speed.
So no wires to Harrogate or Lincoln.
I wonder if Virgin will actually ever get round to providing the services mentioned - it might be more likely that these units will end up being used for through trains from north of Edinburgh to London.

Chris Cook
London

Date: 03/23/16 16:06
Author: CIT1023

An HST somewhere shuddered at the sight of the "Azuma" I ask you translated means the "East" really!
For Azuma read souped up Javelin!
The one thing the HST will always be is an icon of the British Rail industry, Javelins and Azumas just a side show.

Keith G, London, UK

Date: 03/24/16 02:44
Author: 86235

As it's the equivalent of the proverbial horse-designed-by-committee I think Camel would be a better name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/16 02:45 by 86235.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds