Home Open Account Help 293 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trams in the Veneto

Date: 03/29/16 16:39
Trams in the Veneto
Author: WP17

dwatry just posted a set of photos of trams and interurbans in Roma. And since I recently visited the region around Venice (the Veneto) and checked out the local trams in several cities I thought I would share a few views of these rather different trams --- these are rubber-tired TransLohr trams.
Attached are a couple of photos of these trams in Padova (Padua) (#1) and Mestre/Venice (#2 and #3). Yes there are trams in Venice - at least at Piazzale Roma; they run across the causeway to Mestre.
Note the single center rail that guides the tram as well as serves as the power return.

Date: 03/29/16 16:42
Re: Trams in the Veneto

One of the characteristics of the TransLohr system -- other than the obvious "you only need half as much rail" -- is that track switches tend to be much simpler.

Date: 03/30/16 01:45
Author: dwatry

Interesting!  Never seen one of these actually in operation, though last time I was in Padova (2006) they were building their system.    How is the ride quality?

Date: 03/30/16 02:43
Author: spflow

Thanks, absolutely fascinating! I' m going to Venice and Rome in a coupleo f weeks so will look out for these new trams. I suppose that while the benefit of the single rail system is rather obvious (especially considering typial Italian street maintenance), teh down side is that rolling resistance from rubber wheels (and hence power consumption) is a lot higher.

Date: 03/30/16 08:14

Much closer to that of a bus (albeit with the sound of electric motors). I've heard that the tires often cause increase rutting of the road and hence results in a rougher ride.

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting!  Never seen one of these actually in
> operation, though last time I was in Padova (2006)
> they were building their system.    How is the
> ride quality?

Date: 03/30/16 08:18

The major advantage that seems to be cited is that the rubber tire traction permits operation on steeper grades and quicker braking. Interestingly both systems I rode were pretty much flat.

spflow Wrote:
> Thanks, absolutely fascinating! I' m going to
> Venice and Rome in a coupleo f weeks so will look
> out for these new trams. I suppose that while the
> benefit of the single rail system is rather
> obvious (especially considering typial Italian
> street maintenance), teh down side is that rolling
> resistance from rubber wheels (and hence power
> consumption) is a lot higher.

Date: 03/30/16 11:51
Author: SOO6617

Tires rutting the pavement is a big deal as each tram rolls over exactly the same small sections of pavement eventually producing a pronounced rut. One French city is going to convert to conventional Trams, and another is considering Trolley-Buses.

Date: 03/30/16 12:48
Author: 86235

SOO6617 Wrote:
> One French city is going to convert to
> conventional Trams,

Excellent, I certainly couldn't get worked up about a 'tram' with rubber tyres, it's like those rubber tyred shuttles airports insist on calling 'trains'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/16 13:43 by 86235.

Date: 03/30/16 12:58
Author: rhotond

The trams are guided by two inclined wheels (like a V) contacting the single rail.  There is very little contact pressure and these trams have been known to (frequently) lose their guidance and go places they should not (until they get stopped).  standard 2 wheel trams have all weight on the steel wheels and thus "stay on the track"  unless the track gets filled up with ice or solid debris

r

Date: 03/30/16 14:31

About the airport "trains", I like to think of them as "horizontal elevators"-)

86235 Wrote:
> SOO6617 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

> Excellent, I certainly couldn't get worked up
> about a 'tram' with rubber tyres, it's like those
> rubber tyred shuttles airports insist on calling
> 'trains'.
>
>  

Date: 04/02/16 10:02
Author: tq-07fan

SOO6617 Wrote:
> Tires rutting the pavement is a big deal as each
> tram rolls over exactly the same small sections of
> pavement eventually producing a pronounced rut.
> One French city is going to convert to
> conventional Trams, and another is considering
> Trolley-Buses.

Caen was one considering if not already converting to conventional trams. Here is my dad and I's visit back in 2013.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3197198,3197198#msg-3197198

Another inventing the better mouse trap concept. I am glad I got to ride though before it is changed out.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.073 seconds