Home Open Account Help 284 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Barcelona, Spain information request

Date: 04/18/16 07:40
Barcelona, Spain information request
Author: MirandaDepot

If anyone could offer insight into railroad-related activities in Barcelona, I would appreciate the information. I will be downtown, in a central location, with a few free days to explore. I have no familiarity with the geography, unfortunately. And no car.... 

(I originally posted this in "International" but "European" is clearly a better choice.)

-MirandaDepot

Date: 04/18/16 08:38
Re: Barcelona, Spain information request
Author: 86235

The Generalitat de Catalunya (Catalonia Government) has an English language website for their rail services, click on FGC network and you'll find a map. You'll find standard gauge services (AVE - high speed), broad gauge (RENFE) and meter gauge (FGC) plus metro and trams. The main station in Barcelona is Sants but, as I recall, it's a bit like Penn Station in New York, very busy but not much to see. Estacio de Franca on the other hand is something of an architectural gem, but rather underused. There's also metre gauge freight linking the SEAT plant (auto assembly) which I think is near Martorell.

http://www.fgc.cat/eng/index.asp

Date: 04/19/16 21:33
Author: LeoBird

I would highly recommend the trip to Montserrat Monastery. This is via the metre gauge FCG, then rack or cable car. 

All the info you need is at Train Journey From Barcelona To Montserrat and Barcelona 2016 - PDF map FGC train network Barcelona

FCG is not a Mickey Mouse operation. It boasts large freights (by European standards), lots of traffic, and even uses Janney style couplers.

Leo Bird

Date: 04/20/16 05:41
Author: DavidP

I second the Montserrat recomendation....or if your prefer beaches to mountains the charming little beach town of Sitges is about forty minutes south by train with some nice coastal running on the route.  If HSR is your thing, sample the AVE to Figueres on the French border - also less than an hour away.  It's home to a museum dedicated to Salvador Dali.  I believe you can catch both Spanish AVE "Velaro" sets and SNCF double-deck TGVs on the route.

Dave

Date: 04/27/16 09:18
Author: MirandaDepot

This is just the advice I need. Thanks to those who took time to respond. 

The he subway is on strike (or slow down or work to rules) so we rode articulated buses today. We don't know the exact situation nor how long the work action will last.

We made subway ride on Sunday. We have more free time ahead for more exploration. Appreciate the recommendations. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds