Home Open Account Help 357 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Switzerland - Crossing the Landwasser Viaduct

Date: 04/23/16 11:53
Switzerland - Crossing the Landwasser Viaduct
Author: Stephenloco

Had the pleasure today of travelling from near Chur to St Moritz, on the route of the Glacier Express.  

Tip: On the actual Glacier Express the windows don't open!  The current hourly RE service, still has opening windows. However it's being replaced with new train-sets in the next 12 months.

Weather not the best but still stunning scenery. Highlight for me, crossing the Landwasser Viaduct, near the village of Filisur (about half way on the journey)

So, photos & video of the crossing.
Photo 1 - The actual crossing. The loco Ge 4/4 #643 is in "EMS Group" livery. 
Photo 2 - Looking down into the Landwasser River.  Not far from here, the Landwasser flows into the Albula River, that becomes the Hinterrhein (Upper Rhine) River.

Date: 04/23/16 12:24
Re: Switzerland - Crossing the Landwasser Viaduct

The Video!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/23/16 14:09
Author: cozephyr

Awesome opportunity!  Glad you enjoyed the trip and Landwasser Viaduct in that rugged terrain.  Thanks for the update on passenger car windows that can open.

Date: 04/23/16 19:43
Author: WP17

The Bernina Express also runs over the Landwasser Viaduct on its route from Chur to Tirano. The train is equipped with new cars with large panoramic windows but at one of the car there is a small upper window that can be opened.  

#1: You can make out the window that opens at the non-vestibule end of the panoramaic window cars.  

#2: It was snowing quite heavily when rode (3/5/16) and we had to wait at Alp Grum for a snow clearing train. Quite an impressive snow blower:-)

WP17

Date: 04/24/16 11:04
Author: SOO6617

Stephenloco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had the pleasure today of travelling from near
> Chur to St Moritz, on the route of the Glacier
> Express.  
>
> Tip: On the actual Glacier Express the windows
> don't open!  The current hourly RE service, still
> has opening windows. However it's being replaced
> with new train-sets in the next 12 months.

The windows on the new Lounge Cars can be opened, however those on the regular coaches will not open. The Lounge Cars will be the last cars on the RE services to St. Moritz. The Rhätsche Bahn intends to retain their newest conventional coaches for peak services on the RE to St. Moritz, and to strengthen consists on other services formed from the Allegra EMUs.

Date: 04/25/16 09:27

I was very impressed with the Allegra EMU's.  Lucky to be in First Class so had the "Drivers' view" 

Date: 04/28/16 13:23
Author: gobbl3gook

Nice video -- I'm glad you resisted the temptation to pan around (up, down, around) going over the viaduct.  

Bummer that they're replacing the open-window cars.  I'm glad I rode it last fall.  Hopefully they'll stay in service on other lines... 

For anyone interested in virtual tourism on this line, Google Streetview has images along this line taken from special flatcar trains.  

For instance: 
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.681031,9.6754318,3a,75y,98.23h,93.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYqwoWhDtX2JYLfTkjqyNkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://goo.gl/maps/RKyTF9GWjrN2

https://goo.gl/maps/e4YG5MHHDM72

Ted in OR

Edit -- there's also a Google Streetview track from the road at the bottom of the gorge.  
https://goo.gl/maps/poTg5apkjCq

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/16 20:38 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 04/28/16 15:30
Author: rschonfelder

Very likely the most beautiful railroad bridge in the world. 

Rick

Date: 04/28/16 20:49
Author: MojaveBill

Amen! It's quite a ride!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/29/16 17:42
Author: mundo

One can walk a trail to obtain fantastic photos of the bridge from station Filisur.   Hotel Grischua right at station platform, to stay over night and watch the action.
Ask for a room overlooking the tracks.. English spoken, great meal service.  Great spot to HQ for a few days of train riding on the narrow gauge system.  Coffee shop in station.

Date: 04/30/16 03:00

Totally agree.  Had planned to stay at the Hotel Grischuna, however it was closed (till early May).

There are some fantastic walks in the area, all sign posted.  Many are close to the railway for at least part of the journey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds