Home Open Account Help 312 users online

European Railroad Discussion > On board ICE 73 of 25 April

Date: 04/25/16 04:12
On board ICE 73 of 25 April
Author: DocJohn

Train left Frankfurt Hbf right on time.  Right now (1305 hrs CET) we are stopped north on Karlsruhe.  On board Wi-Fi is more than satisfactory.  Two 0.5L Coca-Cola delivered to our seats was 6 Euros (just under 7 USD).

Only problem with European trains is luggage, if you have an American-size suitcase and walking long distances with luggage is a problem (my significant other and traveling companion) there is no equivalent of the service at the airports.

Therefore not looking forward to change of trains in Zurich HB where departing train in on lower level (Track 32).

John

Date: 04/25/16 09:46
Re: On board ICE 73 of 25 April
Author: spflow

John

Great to hear you're having a good trip so far. I take it you will go straight through to Milano from Zurich, or have your plans changed? sit on the left hand side while going up the north side of the St Gotthard if you can.

Is €6 a lot to pay for 2 cokes? You raise some interesting points. As a frequent European rail traveller, I have noticed that several distinctive features are prominent, indeed, almost diagnostic, in Americans.

First, they have huge suitcases - what is in them?
Secondly, they speak (sort of) English as if others are expected to understand. What would happen if I spoke French in Peoria?
Thirdly, adults drink Coca-Cola, a drink I had always associated with children. Am I wrong about this?

Please don't take my questions amiss - I love Americans and am looking forward to my trip to Chicago next month!

Best wishes,
Paul,  London

Date: 04/25/16 10:39
Author: reindeerflame

On Amtrak, a 12-oz. soda now sells for $2.00, which is fairly close to the E 2,12 (US $2.33) that an equivalent amount of beverage might have cost  (E 3,00 on the European train as reported above), if the beverage size is adjusted to reflect the half-liter bottle purchased.

In Europe, beer is a better value than soft drinks, with both beverages frequently priced about the same on trains.

Also, on the luggage issue, the pleasurability of a European train trip is inversely proportional to the amount of luggage carried.  Americans overdo it with luggage, and therefore tend to have less happy experiences.  A better approach is to take just the minimum needed, and to use hotel laundry services.  If you want to be mobile, take less stuff, especially when making tight connections.  You also need to be up out of your seat and the first in line at the train door at least 5 minutes before your train arrives at the station.  It also helps if you have track numbers in advance and if you study station diagrams in advance on the Internet.

Date: 04/25/16 11:43
Author: BobB

Coke is a drink for all stages of life; Pepsi, on the other hand, is a drink for no stage of life.  That's why I always bring Cokes with me when I ride Amtrak--it used to have Cokes available but well over 20 years ago it sold its soul to the Devil (or Pepsi--there's no difference) and now only sells Pepsi products.  I've seen adults drinking Coke all my adult life in the US, as well as in Europe, Argentina, and New Zealand.  Outside the US it tends to be a good deal more expensive than inside, although it's better because it still contains sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup.  Indeed, Mexican Coke sells at a premium in the US because it's made with sugar.

Date: 04/26/16 00:47
Author: railsmith

reindeerflame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Europe, beer is a better value than soft
> drinks, with both beverages frequently priced
> about the same on trains.

Better value -- and simply better. Not when driving, though, but we're talking about riding trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/16 01:37 by railsmith.

Date: 04/26/16 02:21

railsmith Wrote:
> reindeerflame Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In Europe, beer is a better value than soft
> > drinks, with both beverages frequently priced
> > about the same on trains.
>
> Better value -- and simply better. Not when
> driving, though, but we're talking about riding
> trains.
>  

I agree though when did you last see decent beer on a train? however In Germany it's much better than in most places.
I must confess to buying a diet coke last week while drivng a long distance in the UK, but it tasted so foul that I only drank half the bottle. I should have chosen water or a "nice cup of tea".

Date: 04/26/16 03:31

Happy days on an ICE  "somewhere in Germany"!

Date: 04/26/16 06:34
Author: Bob3985

BobB Wrote:
> Coke is a drink for all stages of life; Pepsi, on
> the other hand, is a drink for no stage of life. 
​However, when it comes to Diet sodas to this borderline diabetic the Diet Pepsi has the better taste. But then I acknowledge this is only one Hoghead's opinion. LOL.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/26/16 07:19
Author: 86235

spflow Wrote:
> I agree though when did you last see decent beer
> on a train?

Try Virgin East Coast

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/the-east-coast-experience/the-east-coast-standard/catering/new-ale/

Date: 04/26/16 07:37

spflow Wrote:
> 86235 Wrote:
> -----
> > spflow Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I agree though when did you last see decent
> > beer
> > > on a train?
> >
> > Try Virgin East Coast
> >
> >
> https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/the-east-coa
>
> >
> st-experience/the-east-coast-standard/catering/new
>
> > -ale/

Thanks - you've made my day!

Date: 04/26/16 17:33
Author: DocJohn

Thank you to all for your comments.  My trips to Europe are not vacation.  They are business trips (generally scientific conferences with some meetings with clients of my consuiting business) and business attire is required, especially on days when I am presenting.  Train is a way of getting to places within Europe.  Most conferences are in Germany and Switzerland and often times we are gone for almost two weeks so cannot travel as light as some can.

Back to ICE 73 of 25 April.  Wi-Fi stopped with the German/Swiss border.  Train was late into Basel SSB, but left on time.  It was slow going between Basel and Zurich as there was much track work in progress on eastbound main, so essentially running on single-track railroad   Train arrived in Zurich HB 5 minutes late.  The the fun began.

John

Date: 04/27/16 09:44
Author: Jimbo

spflow Wrote:
> Happy days on an ICE  "somewhere in Germany"!

Wurst, potatoes, and beer.  Can't get any better than that!

Date: 05/02/16 11:56
Author: symph1

reindeerflame Wrote:
> Also, on the luggage issue, the pleasurability of
> a European train trip is inversely proportional to
> the amount of luggage carried.  Americans overdo
> it with luggage, and therefore tend to have less
> happy experiences.  A better approach is to take
> just the minimum needed, and to use hotel laundry
> services.  If you want to be mobile, take less
> stuff, especially when making tight connections. 
> You also need to be up out of your seat and the
> first in line at the train door at least 5 minutes
> before your train arrives at the station.  It
> also helps if you have track numbers in advance
> and if you study station diagrams in advance on
> the Internet.
>
My wife and I were in Japan on a trip that included a wedding and much sightseeing. So there was no way to avoid large suitcases. Getting them on & off the bullet trains was hard, but almost every time, some younger riders were eager to help us lift them.  

Date: 05/04/16 11:29
Author: mundo

Amtrak changes $2.25 for soda.   I think its $2.,00 on the Capital, held down        joint powers.   With everyone  running out of money, except to see the Califonira train menu prices to go up too!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0907 seconds