Home Open Account Help 252 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Carlisle in the 90's

Date: 05/01/16 00:29
Carlisle in the 90's
Author: bakersfielddave

In 1995.. i spent some time in the UK, these scenes show the variety of freight in Carlisle on the Anglo Scottish border

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/01/16 09:13
Re: Carlisle in the 90's
Author: 86235

Very interesting, the variety of motive power has certainly changed, some of the traffic has been lost - the first train for instance carried tin cans from Clydeside to a petfood factory in Wisbech in Cambridgeshire, which closed in 2000. And the doubleheaded 37s are on the empty China clay tanks from Irvine in Central Scotland to Par in Cornwall. Today the train runs from Antwerp, through the Channel Tunnel, the clay being imported from Brasil.

Date: 05/01/16 11:52
Author: wag216

After 2000, I have spent many hours at Carlisle and enjoyed every minute there! Nice folks and always friendly to this Yank. wag216

Date: 05/01/16 12:25
Author: King_Coal

The Royal Mail trains are quite interesting. Do they still operate? Did they sort mail enroute? Pick up/ set out mail?

Neat video.

Date: 05/01/16 17:32
Author: bakersfielddave

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Royal Mail trains are quite interesting. Do
> they still operate? Did they sort mail enroute?
> Pick up/ set out mail?
>
> Neat video.

i spent a week  back there in december last year ...yes they do have royal mail trains  but are worked by electric multiple units now a 325 class 9 car sets

no loco hauled trains run there now and possibly anywhere in Britain

Date: 05/02/16 01:10

bakersfielddave Wrote:
> King_Coal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> no loco hauled trains run there now and possibly
> anywhere in Britain

Err, not quite. Northern use a loco hauled set on the Cumbrian Coast line south of Carlisle. Elsewhere the Caledonian sleeper uses 90s on the London to Glasgow/Edinburgh leg, 73s and 67s between Edinburgh and Inverness/Fort William/Aberdeen. First Great Western use 57s on the Paddington to Penzance Night Riviera. Scotrail also have a loco hauled set on morning and evening commuter services in and out of Edinburgh.

All London Liverpool Street to Norwich services are class 90 hauled Mk 3 sets, Chiltern run a number of loco hauled trains in and out of Marylebone. AGA also operate a loco hauled set between Norwich and Great Yarmouth / Lowestoft.

Most ECML services between London Kings X and Edinburgh are loco hauled with class 91s. It's also arguable that all HSTs are loco hauled, with a class 43 at either end.

Oh yes, Arriva Trains Wales also run a couple of loco hauled sets, from Holyhead to Cardiff and Holyhead to Manchester

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/16 01:14 by 86235.

Date: 05/02/16 12:10
Author: spflow

And of course you are taling about passenger trains. Freight is something else!

Date: 05/06/16 14:27
Author: tq-07fan

Really interesting video. Right before privatization so I have to ask what the significance of the DB symbol is on the Class 90 at at 4:50 in the video?

Jim

Date: 05/06/16 14:37

tq-07fan Wrote:
> Really interesting video. Right before
> privatization so I have to ask what the
> significance of the DB symbol is on the Class 90
> at at 4:50 in the video?
>
> Jim

Railfreight Distribution re-liveried three 90s in DB, SNCB and SNCF liveries to promote their Continental services

Date: 05/06/16 15:12
Author: Chooch

They don't appear to have a weed control program around their tracks. Weeds like I saw in the vid appear to be growing quite heavy around those switches.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds