Home Open Account Help 298 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Euro City 18 Milan Zurich

Date: 05/04/16 03:51
Euro City 18 Milan Zurich
Author: DocJohn

This trip was on Trenitalia equipment.  On time departure, but numerous delays enroute due to trackwork and apparent failure of the rear power unit.  No problem with luggage as official and unoffical porters at Milano Centrale and onboard did the heavy work (at a price).  First class car had luggage rack mid car as well as another one at the end.  Numerous delays approaching Zurich for track work (about 45 minutes east of Zurich two of the three tracks were literally gone for about a mile -- just road bed.).  Also, around the same time, the train stopped and crew went into rear power unit.  Announcement on train PA system was in German, and mentioned the Italian equipment.  Arrival in Zurich was 30 minutes late.

This afternoon have train to Frankfurt Hbf.

John

Date: 05/04/16 04:27
Re: Euro City 18 Milan Zurich
Author: spflow

Sounds interesting. The Swiss have alwasy been loftily disdainful about Italian railways, possibly with some justification.
Do you know what type of train it was? The only Italian ones I can think of which have separate front and rear power units are the ETR500 trains in domestic Frecciarossa service. I rode one two days ago from Venezia  to Firenze - all was fime apart from the lousy lunch in the diner. It is very striking how the notion of snacks has not caught on much in Italy. so in spite of of a well-filled train the take up of restaurant car places was minimal, while no one ate or drank at their regular seats. I recall in the old days at least all the seats for lunch woudl be taken very rapidly, while fresh food would be brought round and served to everyone at the same time. Several sittings were common. I suppose you can't have this and 300km/h!

Date: 05/04/16 10:36
Author: SOO6617

Likely ETR610 trainset. It's not the Italian manufacturing or designs, it's the Trenitalia maintenance that the Swiss disdain.

Date: 05/05/16 10:39
Author: tq-07fan

I rode from Zurich to Goschenen on Monday morning. My train (a stopping train) was 48 minutes late. Most other trains were delayed that day as well due to the same track work. The guy I was sitting across from said it was highly unusual though. I took pictures of the Train Itialias on the pass, in less than a year they should be in the big tunnel.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds