Home Open Account Help 348 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Deutsch Signal Sonntag / German Signal Sunday

Date: 05/08/16 07:56
Deutsch Signal Sonntag / German Signal Sunday
Author: tq-07fan

You may think that the end of your favorite signals is a problem that only you have to live with, but, the replacement of totally cool older railway signals is an epidemic Worldwide! In Germany on my recent trip I observed that the Kombinationsignal was being used not only in new installations but also replacing older signals in certain places. Wuppertal is the place that I got the best (or worst) pictures of a signal replacement scheme
1) Notice the white 'X' marking that this signal is not in service. On roadsigns and other places an X of some kind means that a road or something else is not in service. Consistency that makes sense, what else would you expect in Germany?
2) Our train Intercity 2226 arrived late and already had a clear signal. The top head is for immediate block and the bottom head is the distant signal, which is also clear. Notice that the driver is looking out the window to see if everyone is on or off and the doors all closed.
3) Everyone on and off and doors closed the circle of green lights comes on to give the Starting Order signal almost immediately after taking the picture above.

Date: 05/08/16 07:57
Re: Deutsch Signal Sonntag / German Signal Sunday

4) Looking back toward the platforms I notice that the new signals are going to reduce the usable space on the platforms. That new signal gantry is probably a couple car lengths back from the current signal.
5) The current signals with the same Abdello DMU passing them. I notice that the relays in Germany are set like Norfolk Southern where the trains pass over the shunt circuit by some distance before dropping the signals as seen on our Intercuty 2226.
6) This is a stand alone Distant Signal for the same platform that our IC train Left from. The small white light marks that there is reduced distance to the Home Signal.

Date: 05/08/16 07:59

6) This is a stand alone Distant Signal for the same platform that our IC train Left from. The small white light marks that there is reduced distance to the Home Signal.
7) The Kombninationsignal or Combination Signal has a Green for Clear, Flashing Green for on the same light for Reduced Speed, Yellow or Stopping at the next Signal and of course Red for Stop. The Speeds are all given by the auxiliary signals above and below the main head.
8) Looking at the  end of the platform. I don't think all the new gantries and stuff are up yet. It will be interesting to see what things look like next time I return.
9) This is outside of Stuttgart. Very few of these left but these are the basic original color light signals. Green or Red on the top head for Clear or Stop and then a Distant Signal Head under it with greens or yellows. I only saw these remaining in a few places and this was the best shot I could get.

Jim

Date: 05/09/16 06:58
Author: SP4360

And time marches on. Nice pictures, thanks for posting.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/10/16 10:33
Author: octrax

THANK YOU tq-07 fan for helping us here in the U.S. how to read your railway signals in Germany!  Without your explaination, we'd be "in the dark" trying to figure out all those lights and positions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds