Home Open Account Help 297 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Düsseldorf Trams and U-Bahn Monday 25 April 2016

Date: 05/08/16 09:11
Düsseldorf Trams and U-Bahn Monday 25 April 2016
Author: tq-07fan

Originally Paul and I had considered coming to Germany for a shorter trip at the end of February / beginning of March. Düsseldorf was completing work on putting four tram lines underground into some new Stadtbahn tunnels with things going underground February 21 2016. We would have just missed seeing the trams above ground by less than a week. I wanted to see if anything remained of those tram lines and found it very confusing as the whole area has been reconstructed or demolished. Check out the Google Street View and Satellite images of Düsseldorf. They show the massive dig project and also show the tramline that I followed. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2269456,6.7823412,87m/data=!3m1!1e3 

1) Paul finally dropped me off where I could catch the U-Bahn. I rode one of these which I though look pretty good. 
2) Using the Google Satellite link find Henrich-Heine-Alle and Elberfelder Straße. This shot is from the west side of Henrich-Henie-Alle looking east toward Elberfelder Straße. 
3) Now find Königsallee and Shadowplatz it took looking at the Satellite image as well as the pictures and the Google Streetview to figure out that this area has been changed considerably. The catenary poles are still up and Tram markings are still in the street but who knows for how long? 

Date: 05/08/16 09:13
Re: Düsseldorf Trams and U-Bahn Monday 25 April 2016

Düsseldorf was cold and rainy so I didn't spend much time there. I got lucky and found my abandoned tram line right away though as that is one of the things I wanted to see here. 
4) It looks like the building on the left is new compaired to the Streetview images. It also looks like the buildings on the right may be new too.  
5) Less than three months ago and there would have been four tram lines using these tracks. 
6) An area completely reconfigured. I left this shot in as it shows how different the area looks. The only frame of reference are those two big silver buildings.

Date: 05/08/16 09:14

I had rode the U-Bahn past the Hauptbahnhof to try and successfully find this abandoned tram line. I walked over to the tram 701 and figured I would ride it two Halts south to another tram line back to the Hbf. The rain kept me from getting more pictures but I was really surprised at what I did get in comparing the Google images today.  
7-9) Schadowstraße Halt for the Düsseldorf trams including Route 701 which I rode to Berliner Alle at Graf-Adolf-Straße. 

Date: 05/08/16 09:15

10) Streetside view of the tram I rode. 
11, 12) Düsseldorf Tram Rts 708 and 706 on Graf-Adolf-Straße at Berliner Alle. 

Date: 05/08/16 09:16

13-15) I rode Rt 709 on Graf-Adolf-Straße two Halts to the Hauptbahnhof. 

Date: 05/08/16 09:18

16, 17) It is Rush Hour here. 
18) At the Hauptbahnhof. 
I inquired at the Düsseldorf Transit Place about the Düsseldorf Card. I thought it would be fun to have a Düsseldorf Card. I found that much Stuttgart on Monday 25th that Düsseldorf was going to go on a 34 hr Warning Strike on the Tuesday 26 April along with a couple other places. I didn't bother getting my Düsseldorf Card and simply headed toward Solingen to ride some trolleybuses there. 

Thank You for Looking! 

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0925 seconds