Home Open Account Help 323 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Before the wires come

Date: 05/15/16 12:53
Before the wires come
Author: 86235

June 4th sees the closure of the eastern portion of the Gospel Oak to Barking line in North East London - the Tottenham and Forest Gate - until Feb/March 2017 whilst the wires are strung. As I've said before it will mean the loss of quite a few photo locations, but that's the price of progress I guess. Last Thursday I had a meeting in SE London in the morning and worked at home in the afternoon. On the way from the meeting back home I stopped at South Tottenham where the Tottenham and Forest Gate joins the (older) Tottenham and Hampstead Junction for the 6M92 empty cement wagons from West Thurrock to Tunstead. The catenary you see is used to ferry EMUs from Ilford depot to the lines running north out of Liverpool Street.

I finished work just after 5 p.m. and headed out on my bike, eastwards towards Walthamstow for a couple of pictures along the T&FG, firstly 70015 on the 4S83 London Gateway to Coatbridge (in Scotland) and secondly 59001 on the 6M21 Whatley Quarry to Dagenham stone train. The intermodal is descending from the viaduct which carries the line across the suburbs of Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead Park towards Walthamstow Queens Road whilst the 59 is in the cutting which carries the line through Walthamstow, between Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow Queens Road. The T&FG was built relatively late in the railway era, it didn't open until 1896 and its building required the demolition of many properties in the (relatively) newly built suburbs of Walthamstow, Leyton and Leytonstone, which didn't make the line's sponsors; the Midland and London, Tilbury & Southend Railways, very popular with the locals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/16 13:25 by 86235.

Date: 05/17/16 04:51
Re: Before the wires come
Author: dwatry

Nick - nice shots!  I better get out there for a few more photos before 4 June!

Date: 05/18/16 08:53
Re: Before the wires come
Author: krm152

Thanks from across the pond for posting these photos.  I really like the Class 59 and Class 66 locomotives.  Also like the English Electric double ended diesel electric locomotives that began with the Deltic Demonstrator.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds