Home Open Account Help 283 users online

European Railroad Discussion > OK, what is this work equipment used for?

Date: 05/24/16 08:21
OK, what is this work equipment used for?
Author: frntinplate

Saw this parked in the loco workshop area at Erstfeld (Switzerland) two weeks ago.  Looks like a giant pancake maker, but probably used for something else.   Who knows?  Looks either brand new or recetly rebuilt and repainted. 

Date: 05/24/16 08:49
Re: OK, what is this work equipment used for?
Author: boejoe

Thought comes to mind that when the two halves are raised to a 90 degree position and joined with one another, the shape could be for tunnel clearance measurements...

Date: 05/24/16 12:56
Author: ValvePilot

Good Guess!

Date: 05/24/16 16:48
Author: Ray_Murphy

I suspect it is safety-related, like a smoke containment barrier to be used in the event of an evacuation.

Ray

Date: 05/25/16 06:36
Author: frntinplate

Good guess, I figuresd it mght be something like that, but most clearance testers I have seen either have "fingers" that can bend or today's modern ones  use lasers.   The center needs to be open due to overhead wire so these halves would do the trick, but something doesn not look right.... Hopefully someone who knows will post a response. 

Date: 05/25/16 08:31
Author: ORNHOO

It appears to me that the two "wings" pivot toward the raised platform on the right, then swing outwards to cover the entrance to a tunnel. possibly this is part of the equipment used to install the concrete barrel section liner in a tunnel bored by a tunnel boring machine.

Date: 06/03/16 17:02
Author: Ray_Murphy

The answer is in the pdf linked in the following post:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,4042758,4044194#msg-4044194

"Mobile Maintenance Gates" to be specific.

Ray 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds