Home Open Account Help 226 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Nordhausen Thüringen Germany Trams Tuesday April 26 2016

Date: 06/22/16 17:55
Nordhausen Thüringen Germany Trams Tuesday April 26 2016
Author: tq-07fan

Picking up from my last post from Wuppertal we drove up to Nordhausen because Bill and Paul wanted to see the Harzer Schmalspur Bahnen HSB. Arriving in Nordhausen we checked out the HSB schedule then ate at a breakfast type place on the Rautenstraße. I had a delicious waffle topped with ice cream and strawberries while getting to watch trams out the window. 
1) Actual view out the window of the WaffelWunder.
2) View from in front of the WaffelWunder.
3) Just up the street is the city hall where Bill and I purchased our Day Passes.

Date: 06/22/16 17:57
Re: Nordhausen Thüringen Germany Trams Tuesday April 26 2016

Bill and I purchased Day Passes while Paul drove toward Braunlage. There are only Routes 1 and 2 in Nordhausen and Rt 10 which I'll explain later. Trams run every ten minutes on the weekdays so it is easy to get lots of pictures.
4) Bill and rode the Rt 2 out to Landratsamt/ Badehaus.
5) We had passed the car barn so we walked back to take a look around.
6) The tram 107 we had rode out returned after ten minutes.

Date: 06/22/16 17:58

The weather on that day was challenging. Ranging from cloudy to snow to rain to bright sun.
7) This shot was taken after the car stopped at Wiedigsburghalle Halt in the previous picture, the sun really lit it up. I ran ahead pretty fast too.
8) No one told us to go away, just gave us some curious looks as we took a few pictures through the fence.
9) When the two tram lines are sharing the same track the track is single with passing sidings as seen here at the Wiedigsburghalle Halt across from he car barn.

Date: 06/22/16 17:59

I mentioned the weather being tricky, around ten minutes after picture nine it started snowing really hard.
10) Tram in the snow at Nordhausen. Not the shot I expected in late April.
11) Eleven minutes later at the Theaterplatz Halt it was bright and sunny again. I walked off the car and did not realize that the halt here is in the street. The street is raised to the level of the tram. Traffic stops and was pretty forgiving when I was standing in the street not realizing that it was a street and not a platform.
12) Just beyond the Theaterplatz Halt the two tram routes split up again.

Date: 06/22/16 18:01

Bill was having problems with his camera battery not keeping a good charge. He was also finding that his camera was an older model using a battery that had to be special ordered. We stopped in the camera store which was a the intersection of Rautenstraße at Töpferstraße.
13-14) Rautenstraße at Töpferstraße outside the camera store. This is former East Germany so I wonder if some of those big block buildings are from that era.
15) Walking on down the Rautenstraße toward the Hauptbahnhof.

Date: 06/22/16 18:02

With twenty minutes left I figured we should ride the Rt 2 one halt then walk to the Hauptbahnhof. I am glad we walked because we got some good pictures in those few blocks.
16) Yes, you've already seen 107. Nordhausen has a population a little over 41k, surprisingly small to support even two tram lines but they are well ridden.
17) I was glad we rode so we could get the special traffic signals for the tram operation.
18) Some parts of Nordhasuen were heavily bombed in WW II so it worked out to get this Rt 1 in one of the remaining older sections.

Date: 06/22/16 18:04

19) The same tram passing an Amplemann on the traffic signal. 
20) The Rt 10 is part of the Nordhausen Tram system and operated on the Rt 1 to the Hauptbahnhof. At that point it drops the pan and runs on a diesel.
21) It runs on HSB to Ilfeld. I will continue with the HSB on a separate thread plus I took a lot more Nordhausen pictures than this.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0756 seconds