Home Open Account Help 399 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Harzer Schmalspurbahnen Alexisbad to Quedlinburg April 27 2016

Date: 06/22/16 19:45
Harzer Schmalspurbahnen Alexisbad to Quedlinburg April 27 2016
Author: tq-07fan

I'll be honest I am not a steam fan. Paul wanted me to get a ride on the HSB still and I figured out that if we left Braunlage in good enough time we should be able to ride the HSB from Alexisbad to Quedlinburg. We made it to Alexisbad with little time to spare which of course meant that I did not realize that I had no spare battery until I was on the train. 
1) Station at Alexisbad. We got there right at nine and the train was due to leave at 9:02 am. This is not a for tourist railway, they leave on time.
2 & 3) I tried to be conservative with my picture taking but we passed one of the old rail diesel cars at Mägdesprung on train 8951.

Edit: In preparing the next group of pictures I realized I put down the wrong date on these. These were from the morning of Wednesday April 27 2016.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/16 08:23 by tq-07fan.

Date: 06/22/16 19:47
Re: Harzer Schmalspurbahnen Alexisbad to Quedlinburg April 26 201

After  there were still some telegraph poles with insulators along the right of way. They were probably not too long out of use as there were still wires on a few of them. I tried to take a few good shots as if they were going to be my last.
4) Taken from the open platform in between the cars. I was happy with the result, even if it could possibly be my last shot of the steam trip.
At Gernrode Paul beat us there in the rented (hired) automobile. We also stopped for ten minutes which allowed me to dig out my spare camera batteries and was back in business. Gernirode allowed for good pictures of the train and the locomotive.
5) A shot of our train since I did not get one at Alexisbad.
6) Steam locomotive builder plate.

Date: 06/22/16 19:48

7) Steam locomotive.
8) Bicycle car
9) Guard Van.

Date: 06/22/16 19:49

For whatever reason I forgot to take a picture of the coaches. One good thing about riding the train toward uedlinburg is that we could go out to the rear platform. 
10) Gernrode, have no idea what this building was for just thought it looked good.
11) Coupler that the HSB uses.
12) Bad Suderode station. The signal is for crossing protection. When operating a white light will illuminate above the two reflective dots.

Date: 06/22/16 19:51

The section form Gernrode to Quedlinburg is former standard gauge branchline that was re-gauged to narrow. It makes much better sense to connect to the busier line at Quedlinburg with the HSB now. The HSB connects with the HEX just like a regular train. 
13) Arrival at Quedlinburg.

Date: 06/22/16 19:53

14) HEX 80138 to Thale arrives right after we did.
15) Like I said in the earlier thread, the HSB seams to be big with railway enthusiasts. If that is how it survives at least it is surviving.
16) HEX 80138 and HEX 80143 to Magdeburg sandwich the HSB steamer.

Date: 06/22/16 19:54

17) HEX 80138 passing a signal from the former DR. I didn't see any other DR type signals while in the former east but wasn't near as many signals either.
18) HSB 8963 to Harzgrode leaves after the 80138.
19) HEX 80143 gets out of Quedlinburg on a Proceed at Reduced Speed on another former DR signal.

Thank You for looking!

Jim

Date: 06/26/16 12:21
Author: F40PHR231

These are all great photos; keep 'em coming!

Date: 06/27/16 14:29
Author: spandfecerwin

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 10) Gernrode, have no idea what this building was
> for just thought it looked good.

Thanks for this great series of pictures.

To your question: This brick building it seems it is a water tower.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 06/27/16 15:34
Re: Harzer Schmalspurbahnen Alexisbad to Quedlinburg April 27 201
Author: Bob3985

I was priveledged to ride the Mecklenburgische Schmals bahn in 2002.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1022 seconds