Home Open Account Help 329 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Hamburg-Harburg, the German Clapham Junction April 28 2016

Date: 06/24/16 14:20
Hamburg-Harburg, the German Clapham Junction April 28 2016
Author: tq-07fan

From Willhelmsburg it was a short ten minute ride to Hamburg-Harburg Hbf which reminded me Clapham Junction in London, only a bit more variety. I think just about everything south of Hamburg comes through here. The line toward Cuxhaven has freight that terminates on the south side of the Elbe River ports. All the pictures you see here were taken in a half hour just after noon and I didn't include everything. For those who never want to go to Europe, it's places like Harburg that make me never want to go to Fostoria Ohio.
1) Map showing the area. The Elbe River and ports are in the upper left corner. The black line going to the upper left is the line to Cuxhaven. The line going north goes to the Hamburg Haupbahnhof and the main part of Hamburg. I think the line going south goes to Hanover an the big grey area in the lower right is the big big yard at Decatur-Maschen. 
2) Another trainspotter is spotted as soon as you come up to the platforms from the underground S-Bahn station. That could be a good sign... 
3) CTL Logisitcs Class 186. CTL shows being a Polish company but the identification marking on the locomotive shows a D for Deutscland (Germany).

Date: 06/24/16 14:21
Re: Hamburg-Harburg, the German Clapham Junction April 28 2016

4) ICE 1159 12:35pm (from Harburg) to München Hbf
5) On the line toward Hamburg an RE 4 from Bremen.
6) A diesel powered RE-5 pulls form the line from Cuxhaven with 246004. It will pull into the platforms and reverse direction to push into Hamburg Hbf.

Date: 06/24/16 14:22

7) A Class 363 and 295 running light together. I don't know where all the local work comes from but lots of shunters around Harburg.
8) A expanded view of that side rode equipped 363. I was unclear as to when these were built as my spotter book is in German.
9) 12:40 Intercity 2373 to Karlsruhe. I don't know what the evb logistik Class 140 759 was for in the background. It was not there the next day.

Date: 06/24/16 14:24

10) A DB Class 151 on a short container train just cleared another container train coming the opposite direction.
11) It being led by an EGP Class 151, if only the timing had been a little different...
12) Mitsui Rail Capitol Leasing MRCE Class 193 locomotive on a container train.

Date: 06/24/16 14:25

13) Look at that two axle container car.
14) 246004 from picture 6 is now pushing toward Hamburg, though someone has left the headlights on!
15) ME 82015 running late toward Bremen.

Date: 06/24/16 14:27

If it seams like there are a lot of leased locomotives in Germany, well there are. Unknown if any of these were but some of these are leased by a one person company.
16) European Locomotive Leasing ELL Class 193 on another container train.
17) DB Class 261 on a local freight. There is still some loose car local type freight in Germany.
18) Two trainspotters from Wales. They were in Hamburg for a concert later that day but agreed that Harburg is a good place to watch trains.

Date: 06/24/16 14:28

19) The RB 31 to Luneburg that we will take to Maschen. I totally meant to get that trash can in the picture of course!
20) Interior of the bicycle car.
21) Second floor, look how clean it is!

Next thread will cover the big big yard at Decatur / Maschen
Thank You for looking!

Jim

Date: 06/25/16 08:39
Author: SOO6617

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 7) A Class 363 and 295 running light together. I
> don't know where all the local work comes from but
> lots of shunters around Harburg.
> 8) A expanded view of that side rode equipped 363.
> I was unclear as to when these were built as my
> spotter book is in German.

Locomotive 363 810-3 is a Type V60 built by Henschel at Kassel serial number 30099 in 1960 with an in service date of August 24th, 1960. The Type V60 is a standard DB design with hundreds constructed by all the major German locomotive builders. The shunters would be running from the various parts of the port along waterways branching off the south side of the Elbe. The north side of the Elbe is mostly gentrified now, with the working port and the container terminals on the south side. The main Intermodal terminal for Hamburg is NE of Harburg just before the line to Lübeck splits off the line to Berlin. The terminal is called Hamburg Billwerder.

Date: 06/25/16 08:42
Author: SOO6617

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 3) CTL Logisitcs Class 186. CTL shows being a
> Polish company but the identification marking on
> the locomotive shows a D for
> Deutscland (Germany).

The locomotive is owned by the leasing company Akiem, hence D-AKIEM, which is a leasing company owned by SNCF. It was originally formed to generate revenue from excess SNCF locomotives in France. It has since expanded to Germany and has bought new locomotives to lease out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1206 seconds