Home Open Account Help 232 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Hamburg Hochbahn and a look at the Port of Hamburg

Date: 06/24/16 19:50
Hamburg Hochbahn and a look at the Port of Hamburg
Author: tq-07fan

From the Hauptbahnhof we rode the Hamburg Hochbahn or U-Bahn to the Rathaus halt where we would meet up with our friend Lars at his work. 
1) Our first train we rode had Hamburg Hochbahn DT 3 cars.
2) Check out those door handles. I think we had to pull the doors open and closed but they were electrically locked once out of the stations.
3) Rathaus station looking across the tracks at the DT 5 cars going back toward the Hauptbahnhof.

Date: 06/24/16 19:52
Re: Hamburg Hochbahn and a look at the Port of Hamburg

After picking up Lars we proceeded to take a really excellent tour of the Port of Hamburg along with seeing some of the other important and interesting sights around the area. I know the next pictures are not directly rail related but the Ferryboats are part of the HVV system and included in same Day Pass as the U-Bahn and local trains.
4) Ferryboat at Landungsbrücken Brücke. These ferryboats only require a driver or captain, yes they are a one person operation.
5) How many ferryboats have a digital destination sign and route number? 
6) We travelled from the main stop of Landungsbrücken Brücke to Hamburg Finkenwerder Landungsbrücke which is across the Elbe River and probably ten kilometers away by water.

Date: 06/24/16 19:53

Once at Finkenwerder we boarded the Rt 150 bus back to Hamburg. This is an industrial area type of route but also gave a great tour of the Port of Hamburg.
7) Hamburger Hafenbahn is still a separate railway company owning maintaining and operating some of the track around the port area. We did not see any of their shunters but a hopper is better than nothing.
8) One of many yards around the port. The Port of Hamburg is where many of the trains from previous threads originated and terminated.
9) The Köhlbrandbrücke Bridge, a forty year old cable stayed bridge that is supposedly in need of replacement.

Date: 06/24/16 19:55

10) The bus got onto the Autobahn 7 to go through the tunnel under the Elbe to Hamburg. This gave me the double bonus of riding a transit bus on the Autobahn and also riding a transit bus through and underwater tunnel which in over 200 transit systems ridden I think I had only done in Oakland up to this point. Of course like so many times before I got to look at trains from a bus which is also good.
After making it back to Hamburg we looked at the Elbetunnel but did not walk or drive through it. We also looked at other stuff along the waterfront.
11) Hamburg Hochbahn crossing Helgoländer Allee at Sankt Pauli Hafenstraße.
12) We then borded the Hamburg Hochbahn at Landungsbrücken which is just east of the previous picture.

Date: 06/24/16 19:56

The Hochbahn travels along the waterfront for a bit offering a look at the port.
13) Bill getting a picture of the DT 5 car coming intoLandungsbrücken we would ride.
14) I got plenty of pictures of the port area from the ferry but this one works as well taken from the Hochbahn.
15) Unlike the DT 3 cars which have no access between the cars the DT 5 cars have open gangways like the new Toronto subway cars or London Overground stock.

Date: 06/24/16 19:58

16) Baumwall was named after an embankment along the river.
17) we got off at Rödingsmarkt. The DT 5 we rode is to the right of a DT 3 going back where we had just came from.
18) Our DT 5 car passing through the Rödingsmarkt U-Bahn station.

Date: 06/24/16 20:00

I like the Hamburg Hochbahn because it has many features of the L in Chicago. Different but still operating right in downtown above the streets.
19) Another DT 3 car coming through Rödingsmarkt.
20) A look at what the Hochbahn looks like under the tracks.
21) Gas is roughly $6 a gallon here at this station.

Date: 06/24/16 20:01

Our friend Lars normally parks in centre city Hamburg near the Rödingsmarkt stop. this allowed pictures from a parking structure overlooking the Hochbahn.
22) A set of DT 2 cars on the elevated above Rödingsmarkt.
23) With a DT 3 set trailing.
24) A DT 5 set above Rödingsmarkt.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 06/26/16 01:29
Author: dwatry

Very cool shots.  You definitely do not see enough shots of the Hamburger Hochbahn on TO!

Date: 06/30/16 16:33
Author: tevillo27

Thank you for this nice series.  I'm about to post a few pictures from my very recent trip to Hamburg, when the weather was quite a bit warmer!  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1202 seconds