Home Open Account Help 284 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Gottardino Special Train - Stop and look inside the tunnel!

Date: 07/07/16 09:50
Gottardino Special Train - Stop and look inside the tunnel!
Author: tq-07fan

Hopefully if anyone is going over to Switzerland soon they can try this out. Daily except Mondays August 2nd to November 27 2016 SBB is running a train each way that will stop inside the Gottard Tunnel and let passengers off to see the station at Sedrun inside the tunnel.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/holidays--short-breaks-in-switzerland/regionen/gotthard/gottardino-special-train.html

This would rule! Tickets aren't cheap, but your boasting rights would be epic!

If anyone does this be sure and post pictures here on TO.

Jim

Date: 07/07/16 13:42
Re: Gottardino Special Train - Stop and look inside the tunnel!
Author: Latebeans

Sounds like a really cool experience.  If I am reading correctly, you can go one way through the new tunnel and the other on historic route.

Date: 07/07/16 13:49
Author: SOO6617

Note that this train runs from Flüelen to Biasca only, so you would need to take another train on one or both ends of the trip(or a ship on the Flüelen end). Starting next summer the SBB will introduce a new service running from the same two stations and routed via the summit tunnel called "The Gotthard Panoramic Express". This will replace the William Tell Express and will be all 2nd Class coaches.

Date: 07/07/16 18:35
Author: icancmp193

OK, so why is there a station about 1/2 mile into a 35.6 mile tunnel? What is it's purpose? Curiosity.

Tom Y

Date: 07/08/16 05:42
Author: 86235

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, so why is there a station about 1/2 mile into
> a 35.6 mile tunnel? What is it's purpose?
> Curiosity.
>
> Tom Y

Do you mean the 800 metres reference. That's how deep underground it is.

Date: 07/08/16 06:42
Author: icancmp193

86235 Wrote:
> icancmp193 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OK, so why is there a station about 1/2 mile
> into
> > a 35.6 mile tunnel? What is it's purpose?
> > Curiosity.
> >
> > Tom Y
>
> Do you mean the 800 metres reference. That's how
> deep underground it is.

Yes, I apparently misunderstood the promotional article. But, how far in is the station and what is it's purpose?

Tom Y

Date: 07/08/16 08:13
Author: 86235

Looking at the map there are two such stations, and they are described as technical and rescue stations, so I would guess there will be emergency equipment as well as points of access to the signalling and power supply systems for maintenance purposes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/16 08:15 by 86235.

Date: 07/08/16 12:08

86235 Wrote:
> Looking at the map there are two such stations,
> and they are described as technical and rescue
> stations, so I would guess there will be emergency
> equipment as well as points of access to the
> signalling and power supply systems for
> maintenance purposes.

There are three stations with outside access. Sedrun was the location of the Central Access where a lift was built so that workers could reach the tunnel boring faces, and spoil could be raised to the surface. The lift is maintained as an emergency access point in case of a fire, derailment, or collision in the central portion of either tunnel. Sedrun Tunnel Station is 21 km from the North Portal.   

Date: 07/09/16 21:05
Author: Stephenloco

Originally they considered a working/public station at Sedrun, but this was later downgraded to an emergency access point.

Sedrun is situate on the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn line between Andermatt & Distentis/Múster - part of the Glacier Express route.

Date: 07/10/16 11:01
Author: jbwest

During construction tours were offered of the "multi-function" facility at Faido via the side access tunnel.  About two years ago while at a rail oriented business gathering in Locarno I had an opportunity to take the tour.  It is certainly a big hole in the ground, clearly a lot of effort went into it, and it will greatly improve rail transport efficiency (especially if you ignore the capital costs).  The Swiss have every right to be proud and excited about the new route being inaugurated.  But as a tourist attraction I'd rather ride the train over the old route.  It the risk of sounding cynical, seen one tunnel you've seen them all.  I had some pictures of a train in the tunnel but they were so fascinating that I can't find them.  I'll be visiting Switzerland next October and my plan now is to spend as much time as possible on the old route while it still has some traffic other than local trains. 

JBWX

Date: 07/17/16 18:06
Author: skyview

When does the tunnel open for all traffic, with reroutes from the old line?  Or at least the bulk of reroutes?

Date: 07/17/16 22:04

skyview Wrote:
> When does the tunnel open for all traffic, with
> reroutes from the old line?  Or at least the bulk
> of reroutes?

December 11th, 2016

Date: 07/19/16 07:14
Author: skyview

Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds