Home Open Account Help 335 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finse resupply

Date: 07/08/16 13:33
Finse resupply
Author: RNinRVR

I have read in previous threads concerning Finse, Norway, that they get their supplies via rail in special containers. Well today I happened to look in when one of these freights was stopped and unloading. It was an interesting operation with a folklift and several people hustling around with pallet jacks.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 07/08/16 14:03
Re: Finse resupply
Author: pvarlien

Finse is only accessible by train... well, I suppose one can ski (winter) or hike (rest of the year) over the mountains, if one is into that sort of activity. :-)

For those of you that are into detective novels, "1222", by Anne Holt, is set at Finse. It has been translated into English.
It starts with the Bergen Express derailing after hitting an avalanche at Finse, in the middle of a blizzard...

Peter Varlien
Heimdal,

Date: 07/08/16 14:42
Author: RNinRVR

From what I have read about this little burg, there is a railroad access road which is passible in summer only by hiker, cyclist and 4 wheel drive. Anything heavy has to come in by those freights. In fact one item coming off that container looked like a refrigator.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 07/08/16 21:46
Author: czephyr17

Very interesting, thanks for posting this "catch".  Also thanks for the info about the novel - I may have to see if I can find it one of these days.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered making Finse, Norway and Essex, Montana "Sister Cities"?  There are many striking similarities.  Both center around a hotel and the railroad, with skiing and hiking recreational activities.  Of course Essex is accessible by highway as well as rail, but in the winter can almost seem dependent on the train.  There are snow sheds on both railroads near each of the stations.  Both stations are also almost the same elevation - the Isaak Walton hotel at Essex sits at about 1181 meters (3,875 feet); Finse is of course 1222 meters (4,009 feet).  One difference is that Finse is near the summit of the Oslo-Bergen line, while Essex lies near the bottom of Marias Pass (trains have to climb another 1500' to reach the summit).  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/16 22:07 by czephyr17.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds