Home Open Account Help 283 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trains in Edinburgh & the Highlands

Date: 07/18/16 17:17
Trains in Edinburgh & the Highlands
Author: NH2006

Big thanks to everyone who chimed in, especially Nick, who patiently answered all my questions with great information.

A few days spent looking for family graves in Rothesay, then off to Edinburgh.  I got a couple hours free from family to see the terminal.  It was a bit challenging with the heavy underbrush, fences, & overhead wires near the platforms so I would move on west to the next gap.

Date: 07/18/16 17:21
Re: Trains in Edinburgh & the Highlands

Here on a pedestrian overpass with a view of the Edinbugh castle, I gave some relief to a very exhausted Scottish family with 4 wee kids.  They were very stressed out, and the 2nd oldest daughter was begging to see the trains.  So I welcomed them, and told them it got easier as the kids got older.  Then we set about watching the trains.  It was rush hour, so we had many trains!

Date: 07/18/16 17:23

The kids and I had great fun, getting surprised by so many trains from each direction.  And I figured out how to get waves and horn toots from the drivers, to the great delight of the beleagured family.  The kids cheered up and told me all sorts of thigns they had done. We had an excellent time.

Date: 07/18/16 17:27

The last train I was able to stay for was the Virgin to London, so I made the kids get really excited for the "red train" since it was clearly different than the many others we had seen. And they were indeed delighted.

I left them, and later returned to Saint Cuthberts cemetary to see where some of my family was baptised/married and maybe buried, for one last shot of the castle.

Date: 07/18/16 17:29

The next day we drove to Inverness.  I was completely defeated by many missed opportunities.  But the next days would pay off greatly with fun at the famous Culloden Viaduct. IN the evening there was sun and a repeat GBRf leder on the sleeper

Date: 07/18/16 17:32

Shot the heck out of the sleeper, fearful it was my only chance at a freight loco.

The day before, noticed I caught a Inverness & Nairn heritage unit!

Date: 07/18/16 17:35

The Culloden Viaduct is wonderful, even without trains.

The next day I got up early on Nick's recommendation and got three more trains, including my first Scottish frieght!

Date: 07/18/16 17:37

A wee fast one, I nearly missed, then the Stobart.

Date: 07/18/16 17:40

Caught 2 old timers in Inverness, then off to Fort William!

There I had been told I might see a alumin ore train headed to the hydropowered smelter (from Ben Nevis water!), and I saw one was due.  I must thank the powers that be, I happened upon at one of the few breaks in the trees and chased it back.

Date: 07/18/16 17:43

I was also grateful no one chased me off the Smelter bridge for these pictures.  Especially with a semaphore!

Date: 07/18/16 17:44

They backed the train into the smelter, and I got one last image with Ben Nevis.

Date: 07/18/16 17:48

The next day, in heavy rain, went to see the Jacobite Steam Train at Glenfinnan. I wasn't able to get to the spot I wanted but good enough.

Date: 07/18/16 17:50

One final image, of another old timer in the yard.

The railway workers would strike within 24 hours and so no more trains for me on this trip. All in all a great trip. 

I love Scotland!

Date: 07/18/16 18:07
Author: highgreengraphics

I have been waiting for results from your trip. Neat trains at some great locations, that arch bridge is gorgeous. Bet it took your breath away! Glad you're back safe, and hope you succeeded in finding some old country ancestors! === === = === JLH

Date: 07/18/16 19:35
Author: TCnR

Good trip, worked out well.
My father would say if you can't see the hills you know it's raining,
if you can see the hills you know it going to rain.
But it sounded better with his very heavy accent.

Date: 07/22/16 15:53
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of photos.  Looks like a dream visit.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds