Home Open Account Help 288 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Warnemünde, Germany

Date: 09/05/16 17:44
Warnemünde, Germany
Author: bobwilcox

Warnemünde is a stop on the Baltic Sea cruise ship circuit.  The ships tie up adjacent to the train station with commuter trains to Rostock and Güstrow.  Long-distance trains arrive from Berlin and Leipzig.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 09/05/16 22:02
Re: Warnemünde, Germany
Author: wpamtk

I stopped there on a cruise ship in Summer 2013. While many passengers went on excursions to Berlin, I checked out the rail scene, took a local train to Rostock where I shot the trams, then rode a local steam tourist line called the Mollibahn. The scenery on the beach was pretty good too (just love Europe).

Date: 09/05/16 22:36
Re: Wantoned, Germany
Author: WP17

Bob:

We did a Baltic cruise back in 2007 where our first stop was Warnemunde. Here is a shot of greater metropolitan Warnemunde from an upper level of our ship showing the somewhat sizable train station in the foreground. The second shot shows a typical locomotive hauled train set used back in those days. These have been replaced by EMU sets (Stadler built?????).

Interestingly Warnemunde is often described in cruise brochures as the port for Berlin. Yes a shore excursion to Berlin was offered on cruise -- it's a three hour train ride to Berlin followed by a 5 or so hour bus tour and then another three hour ride back to the North Sea. We did not elect to join that marathon tour.

Neil

Date: 09/06/16 07:26
Author: FiveChime

Great photos. Where did the weed covered track in the foreground in the last photo go?
Seems that you rarely see this sort of trackage on European railways.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 09/06/16 09:56
Author: spflow

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos. Where did the weed covered track in
> the foreground in the last photo go?
> Seems that you rarely see this sort of trackage on
> European railways.
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

Er I think you do,in rather large quantities!

Please also remember that "Europe" is not a place, rather a rich variety of very different nations, about which it is very hard to make generalisations. The amount of disused trackage is however very great in most countries, as is the the degree of weed growth around active lines on account of environmental concerns about weedkiller use. Ironically, Germany although noted for both affluence and neatness probably has some of the most extreme examples of weed  growth!

Date: 09/06/16 10:03
Author: SOO6617

WP17 Wrote:
These have been replaced by
> EMU sets (Stadler built?????).

Bombardier built Electro-Talent 2 EMUs

Date: 09/06/16 11:41
Author: Bob3985

Bob,
I got to ride the "Molli" back in 2002 on a visit to Germany. My fathers side of the family was from that area in Mecklenburg, mainly in Marlow. That was a neat ride and I shot quite a few photos as well. I need to scan those slides from that trip. I shot 26 rolls of 36 exposure then. I had an excellent pair of hosts, Andreas and Wolfgang. It was up near the Baltic Sea where we spent a night in a hotel and I had reindeer steak for dinner. "Rudolph" was actually pretty tasty.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/16 11:41 by Bob3985.

Date: 09/07/16 08:21
Author: ironmtn

spflow Wrote:
> FiveChime Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great photos. Where did the weed covered track
> in
> > the foreground in the last photo go?
> > Seems that you rarely see this sort of trackage
> on
> > European railways.
> >
> > Regards, Jim Evans
>
> Er I think you do,in rather large quantities!
>
> Please also remember that "Europe" is not a place,
> rather a rich variety of very different nations,
> about which it is very hard to make
> generalisations. The amount of disused trackage is
> however very great in most countries, as is the
> the degree of weed growth around active lines on
> account of environmental concerns about weedkiller
> use. Ironically, Germany although noted for both
> affluence and neatness probably has some of the
> most extreme examples of weed  growth!

I've noticed the "weediness" in quite a few other images here on TO over quite some time, and was initially very surprised by it. Gradually, I came to understand it as something common, but still surprising and contrary to the perception of European railways (especially DB) operating as very efficient and meticulously maintained. I had wondered about the reasons why, speculated that it might be due to herbicide concerns, but never got around to asking. So thanks for the confirmation. That said, the "weediness" still bothers me. But, it's not my country and not my railroad, so tolerance and understanding is in order. A small thing, after all, against the backdrop of so many superb operations.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan USA

Date: 09/09/16 01:37
Author: Stas

Why German railway look cute like a scale model? :)
Very nice photos!
Thank you!

Stas

Date: 09/12/16 04:17
Author: boiler77

Bob3985 Wrote:
> Bob,
> I got to ride the "Molli" back in 2002 on a visit
> to Germany. My fathers side of the family was from
> that area in Mecklenburg, mainly in Marlow. That
> was a neat ride and I shot quite a few photos as
> well. I need to scan those slides from that trip.
> I shot 26 rolls of 36 exposure then. I had an
> excellent pair of hosts, Andreas and Wolfgang. It
> was up near the Baltic Sea where we spent a night
> in a hotel and I had reindeer steak for dinner.
> "Rudolph" was actually pretty tasty.

Hi Bob, beeing await your pics from the Mollitour.

Phil from Berlin - Germany

Date: 09/12/16 04:18
Author: boiler77

Great pics from top of the ship. I did`nt have this overview before.

Phil

Date: 09/12/16 10:59
Author: SOO6617

German Railways seems to take years to pull up the rails from disused trackage. They will pull the switch leading off the mainline but leave the rails in on the siding, or branch. I have seen the rails still in situ as much as 20 years after service was discontinued. It just depends on whether there is some other use for the Right of Way. 

Date: 09/13/16 17:54
Author: OliveHeights

I also got to ride the Molli back in 2003.  For some reason the ship we were on docked at Rostock instead of Warnemunde and provided tender rides to Warnemunde.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds