Home Open Account Help 315 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Welsh Narrow Gauge Advice

Date: 09/27/16 10:16
Welsh Narrow Gauge Advice
Author: NDHolmes

So work decided this morning to send me to Atherstone (UK) again in a couple weeks.  I tacked on a few days ahead of time (arriving Oct 5, need to back in Birmingham the afternoon of Oct 9) and made a hotel reservation in Porthmadog.  However, that's pretty much as far as I've gotten.  My plan is to spend sometime riding the Ffestiniog and WHR, but would also like to spend some time photographing them and visiting some of the other narrow gauge heritage lines along the Welsh coast. 

Nick & others familiar with the territory - any advice for a first time visitor and railfan out that way as to how to make the most of my time?  I'll actually have a car this time, which should be an adventure in and of itself (haven't driven on the left in nearly 20 years), but not opposed to hiking in to spots or renting a bike if it's possible in the area.  This all has come up so fast that I don't feel that I have any preparation done at all.

Nathan

Date: 09/27/16 10:48
Re: Welsh Narrow Gauge Advice
Author: 86235

You're in luck, the 7th, 8th and 9th is the Ffestiniog's Victorian Weekend, check the website for the enhanced services from Friday lunchtime onwards. And on Sunday there's an extra on the WHR carrying sponsors from Boston Lodge to Dinas and back. Otherwise the WHR will be the normal 'shoulder' schedule - 2 trains each way (except Friday).

In terms of where to go, where do I start. An Ordnance Survey Explorer map is an invaluable tool as it features the open access land and public rights of way which get you away from roads and close to the line.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapsheetfinder.html#mapsheet-viewer

OL17 & Ol18 covers both railways or you can use the Ordnance Survey's tool to create your own.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/_ignore_category/1/id/9/s/custom-made-maps/

On line www.streetmap.co.uk uses Ordnance Survey data - basically it uses the Landranger and Explorer maps. The base is Landranger but if you click the zoom once you get the Explorer. Use Porthmadog to get started and then just move around using the arrrows on the screen.

Looking forward to the weekend, may see you around.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/16 12:41 by 86235.

Date: 09/27/16 12:47
Author: wag216

We have been to Wales just once, but I can guarantee you will have a GREAT time. Good trains and wonderfull people! Plan on sharing, please? wag216

Date: 09/27/16 23:31
Author: cricketer8for9

Left hand side of the road won't be a major issue, more important, in my mind, is whether you get a manual (stick shift) car or an automatic. If you haven't driven a manual make sure you get an automatic. Sat nav may also be useful.

Date: 09/28/16 03:20
Author: andersonb109

Bring warm clothes and an umbrella! Weather can go from full sun, to driving rain, and back to sun within an hour. Or it could be either all day long. Very changeable and unpredictable. 

Date: 09/28/16 10:41
Author: NDHolmes

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring warm clothes and an umbrella!

Isn't that always good advice for the UK? *grin*  Then again, maybe it's because I only seem to get over there in the fall and winter months.  Hopefully will get a bit of sun while I'm there, but know weather in Wales this time of year can be rather dreary and wet.

Thanks for everyone's input.  Very much looking forward to it. And yes, I requested an automatic.  I drive a manual at home during the summer, but I figure the last thing I need is trying to figure out traffic, remembering which side I'm supposed to be on, and then also shifting with the wrong hand as well.  Maybe next trip I'll be brave and ditch the slushbox.

Date: 09/28/16 10:58
Author: mraia

We took a trip to Porthmadog a couple years ago and had a great time chasing the narrow gauge. There are plenty of trains to shoot and the scenery is great. There is a shot at Rhyd-Ddu that i would like to go back and re-do. They leave the station and go around a horse shoe curve but i was clouded just as the train approached. Also there is the Llangollen Railway which is a standard gauge steam railway that is not to far from Porthmadog. Also make sure you call the local car rental place to make sure you get an automatic. I ordered an automatic in Liverpool and had to wait for the car.
Mike

Date: 09/30/16 07:26
Author: andersonb109

Here is the shot at Rhy DDU you were trying to get in sun. This was last November. The sun came out for about 15 minutes just as we called the train (an advantage you won't have with service trains). We thought we were good for the rest of the day. Turns out it was the only time we would see the sun all day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds