Home Open Account Help 326 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Memories; No Longer a Throwaway Shot

Date: 09/30/16 18:28
UK Memories; No Longer a Throwaway Shot
Author: wheelnrail

Hey all on the Euro Board,

I usually reside and post stuff on the Eastern Board, But I think I'll post a series of photos dubbed, UK Memories. I was stationed at Mildenhall from 13-15. During that time i netted some 20,000 photos of trains around England, Wales, Scotland, and continental Europe. I loved every minute being there. I'm not going to lie, trains in the UK can get repetitive, but knowing it will be a good while before I come back (if ever), I took advantage of any off time I could to get trackside. Hope you all enjoy the series of posts.

Looking through the archives, I found a series of photos containing steam in the Capitol, London. The date stamped on all of these were from June 28, 2014. I remember this day very well, this was the day 4 steam specials were due through the city. One was the Cathedrals Express with Cromwell to York, The other was 46233 leading a nonstop special from Birmingham to Euston, the third a special from Ipswich to...i don't remember where, and of course, the Belmond British Pullman with 35028 "Clan Line". I was at Ebury Bridge, eagerly waiting for the main event to show up. I arrived about 30 minutes ahead of the train, and for most of that time, trains coming into and out of London Victoria was pretty much one at a time, very light. I checked RTT, the train should be approaching any minute. All of a sudden, a parade of trains clog the curves at Grosvenor Bank just as 35028 crosses over the Thames. Initially I was annoyed, but I got a slim opening. Shutter open. Shutter closed. I got the shot but wasn't pleased with the outcome, so I filed it away. 2 years later, i took another look, and actually...it's not too bad. I like the stark contrasts between a Southern built Bullied Pacific, and modern day EMU's.

That was a fun day, never would I imagine 4 steam locomotives would visit London at once.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 09/30/16 19:10
Re: UK Memories; No Longer a Throwaway Shot
Author: Hartington

I like the juxtaposition of ancient and modern.   Given the chance I never shy away from it.

Nice shot.

Date: 09/30/16 19:50
Author: meixel

Good Pink Floyd shot.  Just needs a huge pig balloon!

Date: 09/30/16 23:17
Author: dwatry

I like it!  Makes the Pacific look like just part of the workaday scene. 

Date: 09/30/16 23:35
Author: 86235

It woudn't have been the same if you just had Clan Line and the Pullmans, the sky is good too and you've got Battersea Power Station without all the redevelopment.

Date: 10/01/16 08:00
Author: 55002

That's a super photo. Nice mix of old and new, and taken before the power station buiding work started. More please. Chris uk.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds