Home Open Account Help 312 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Memories; Pigs

Date: 10/01/16 14:37
UK Memories; Pigs
Author: wheelnrail

Pigs, Wessex Electrics, or 5WES, whatever you want to call them, the BR Class 442's are a distinctive EMU on the former Southern, and my favorite type of EMU. The curved glass on the headend of these trains made these look elegant (if that's even possible with EMU's). Another reason I like these units is the fact these are one of the few trains in London you can ride with a dropdown window to look out of if you're feeling bored/adventourous. 

In 2015, I learned about Gatwick Express' intention to replace the fleet with newer class 387's, and relegating these to Northern Rail (I believe).  On July 16, 2015, I decided to shell out about...i cant remember, maybe 40-50 quid, for an advance off peak ticket from Littleport to Brighton and back, with the intention to ride on a Class 442 on the London to Brighton section when possible. Unfortunately since it was an off peak window, my trips on the 442's would be made from London to Gatwick, and then make a change to a Brighton service. I would be lying if i said it was a scenic ride, but it was pretty fun. I hope when the time comes, these 442's will still have a long life up North.

Some Pics below...

#1. The 442 set I was on, leaving London Vic. Notice anything out of place? :)

#2. A view of the set dropping down from Clapham Common and about to speed through Clapham Junction.

#3. Think Jeremy Corbyn will find a seat here? First class had some excellent seating, very comfortable! Even standard class was pretty good. Same cant be said for the god awful seats on the 377's.

Last one...

Date: 10/01/16 14:41
Re: UK Memories; Pigs
Author: wheelnrail

#4. A 5 car 442 approahces Clapham Junction in fading light on October 10, 2014. 

Thanks for looking!

Date: 10/01/16 19:40
Author: RNinRVR

You maybe talking about that rake of coaching stock with the diesel on it. Looks like the set on the Princess Elizabeth Cathedral Express.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 10/02/16 00:42
Author: 86235

Rather ironically, seeing you were based at Mildenhall the off lease 442s are in store at Ely!

Southern / Gatwick Express retain a handful which are still used on Gatwick and Brighton services, but not sure for how long as they are rather worn out.

The plan to use them as push pull stock by the new Northern franchise seems not to have been a realistic proposition, they are getting bespoke loco hauled cars built by CAF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/16 01:09 by 86235.

Date: 10/03/16 18:24
Author: TheInstigator

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rather ironically, seeing you were based at
> Mildenhall the off lease 442s are in store at
> Ely!
>
> Southern / Gatwick Express retain a handful which
> are still used on Gatwick and Brighton services,
> but not sure for how long as they are rather worn
> out.
>
> The plan to use them as push pull stock by the new
> Northern franchise seems not to have been a
> realistic proposition, they are getting bespoke
> loco hauled cars built by CAF.

Define worn ot please?

Date: 10/03/16 23:43
Author: 86235

TheInstigator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Define worn ot please?

The traction motors were originally made for the 4REPs in the mid 1960s and are therefore 50+ years old, the air compressors were also recovered from withdrawn stock and are equally as old, if not older. The 442s don't meet modern accessibility obligations under the Rail Vehicle Accessibility (Non-Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2010 and would need substantial rebuilding to meet the 1st January 2020 deadline for accessibiliity to all heavy and light rail vehicles. As I said Southern are retaining a handful for ongoing use for the immediate future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/16 23:45 by 86235.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds