Home Open Account Help 212 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trent Valley Line - a second bite

Date: 10/06/16 06:09
Trent Valley Line - a second bite
Author: 86235

I wanted to look at some other locations on the north end of the 50 mile Rugby to Stafford Trent Valley section of the West Coast Mainline. So on my non working day yesterday I set off again on London Midland's 07:46 long distance local / semi-fast from Euston to Crewe, this time as far as Lichfield, some 120 miles, where it arrives at 09:20 after five intermediate stops. From there I rode to Rugeley (Trent Valley) and on to Colwich and Little Haywood before returning to Rugeley (TV) for the 17:05 home.

It was a nice bright day, albeit a bit chilly with quite a strong easterly wind (which means cold). Sun wasn't out continuously but for enough of the time to make it a worthwhile day.

1: This is the stuff the London - Crewe trains are made of, a Siemen's built 110 mph (176 kph) class 350. Since cranking up the 350s maximum speed (when delivered it was 100 mph) the Crewe trains have been accelerated, running direct to Rugby via Weedon in 55 minutes with a single stop (Milton Keynes Central), an average of about 90 mph. In the background a northbound 125 mph Pendolino hurtles past.
2: This is part of the Trent Valley Line that was four tracked during the upgrade in the early 2000s, the train is one of DBS inter-modal services from Trafford Park (Manchester) to Southampton. A Euston bound Super Voyager from Chester is approaching at a rate of knots
3: Little Haywood is just beyond Colwich, the junction with the line to Manchester via Stone, Stoke-on-Trent and Macclesfield. From here to Stafford the Trent Valley remains a double track railway. 70004 is on the 4S44 one of the inter-modals from Daventry to Coatbridge which Freightliner operate on behalf of the JG Russell logistics company.

Date: 10/06/16 06:24
Re: Trent Valley Line - a second bite

4: Between Colwich and Rugeley TV there's some nice clear broadside views of the line from the west side, this Pendolino is speeding London-wards. Horrible as they are to travel in (gun slit windows, smelly toilets and a claustrophobic atmosphere) they make an impressive sight at speed.
5: From the down platform at Rugeley station the same train I shot at Lichfield three weeks ago, the Ditton to Felixstowe (Ditton is an inter-modal terminal in NW England), but this time diesel and not electric hauled (Freightliner's have a shortage of electrics on account of their sub-contract to provide haulage for the Caledonian Sleepers every night). The sun obligingly came out as the train appeared. This section of the Trent Valley has been four tracked since before electrification.
6: Final shot at about 16:50 is this Southampton to Trafford Park train, looming in the background is one of the reasons why coal carloadings have declined precipitously in the last couple of years, the mothballed Rugeley generating station. Rugeley is one of seven large coal fired stations which have ceased generating (or been relegated to first reserve) in the past few years - two in Scotland, five in England.

Here's a link to the other pictures https://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2016/Autumn-2016/i-F5RctRN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/16 06:26 by 86235.

Date: 10/06/16 17:29
Author: dwatry

Nick did you take your bike for this excursion?

Duncan

Date: 10/06/16 23:03

Yes, cycled to and from Euston and then followed the railway (roughly) from Lichfield to Rugeley, on to Little and Great Haywood (where the Manchester line leaves the Trent Valley) and then back to Rugeley for the train home. Advance fares on LM are ridiculously cheap, the 250 mile round trip to Rugeley costs £16 return (less 33% if you have a railcard). You have to nominate the train you are travelling on although there's no reserved seat, first come first served, after all these are interurban rather than long distance trains. And OK it's an EMU, but a speedy one. Seating is 2+2 with big windows (unlike the Pendolinos). There's no trolley service or anything like that, but Euston is awash with food stops so everyone brings their own! All in all a very enjoyable day out.

Date: 10/07/16 12:58
Author: cricketer8for9

I'm sure there are passengers who use the 350s in preference to the pendelinos not just because of the price but also the comfort.

Date: 10/07/16 13:06

Given a choice I would opt for the 350. I guess you could, if you wanted to ride a 350 almost all the way from London to Glasgow as Transpennine use them between Manchester and Glasgow don't they?

Date: 10/08/16 06:28
Author: 55002

Very good selection of photos, Nik. Plus, some decent weather. Can't beat a bike for dodging around. Chris uk.

Date: 10/08/16 11:07

55002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't beat a bike for dodging
> around. Chris uk.

Completely agree Chris

Date: 10/08/16 19:16
Author: joemagruder

What are the bicycle on train provisions, costs?

Date: 10/08/16 20:43

joemagruder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the bicycle on train provisions, costs?

Bikes are carried free of charge. On long distance trains you need a reservation, which you can get when buying your ticket. There are restrictions on commuter trains, at certain times of the day and in specific directions. For all other trains it's first come, first served.

On LM's 350 class there's an area next to the disabled toilet with pull down seats for wheelchairs and bikes. But you don't have to store them there, I usually prop mine up in the vestibule by the sliding doors, remembering to move it depending on what side the doors open.

I should add that fold up bikes are permitted on any train at any time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0866 seconds