Home Open Account Help 367 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More Ffestiniog stuff

Date: 10/09/16 15:19
More Ffestiniog stuff
Author: 86235

Some pictures from this weekend's gala. No rain, which for North Wales in October is little short of miraculous
1: Double Fairlie David Lloyd George approaching Tan y Bwlch on one of the vintage trains. Despite appearances DLG is quite modern, built by the railway at Boston Lodge in 1992
2: Double Fairlie Merddin Emrys leaving Porthmadog this morning on the 08:00 to Blaenau, same set as DLG had (above)
3: Single Fairlie Taliesin being prepared at Boston Lodge running shed

Date: 10/09/16 15:41
Re: More Ffestiniog stuff
Author: spandfecerwin

Really nice railway. I have been there in the 60th.
nice pic´s. Thanks for posting.

Remark: When one locomotive design makes rally no sense than it is the Fairlie. I love it.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 10/09/16 21:29
Author: dwatry

Love photo #2!

Date: 10/10/16 00:40

spandfecerwin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remark: When one locomotive design makes rally no
> sense than it is the Fairlie. I love it.
>
> Erwin from Austria

Thanks Erwin, love the comment :-)

Date: 10/10/16 03:02
Author: andersonb109

Anyone who loves narrow gauge steam needs to spend a week there. Typically in Autumn there are also photo charters with proper equipment running and opportunities in locations not accessible by car.

Date: 10/10/16 03:49

dwatry Wrote:
> Love photo #2!

Thanks Duncan, I was actually on my way to the visit of the civil engineering facilities at Minfordd Yard but decided that I'd rather wait for Merddin Emrys to leave, There was a very slight off shore breeze which was billowing the exhaust behind and to the left which worked just right as it approached the new trident signal. And because it was clear it was chilly too. I couldn't work out why Merddin Emrys looks different from the last time I saw her (2015) but all was revealed when we toured the works, in her recent rebuild, she's only just re-entered service, she's been given a new (stainless steel) smoke box and a taller chimney.

andersonb109 Wrote:
> and opportunities in locations not accessible by car.

Yes I agree, getting away from the road and up into the hills is the essence of both the Ffestiniog and the WHR, this is one of my favourite shots on the former. The train's just left Moelwyn Tunnel and is running along the power station lake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/16 04:04 by 86235.

Date: 10/11/16 02:19
Author: C.P.Huntington

Enjoyed looking at your photos. I watched some of Sunday's trains on the Ffestiniog Railway webcams and was very
​impressed with all the trains they were running. Unfortunaly, due to the time difference it was about 1:00 am
to 3:00 am here California while I was watching. Did you get a shot of the freight train? I saw the only tail
end of it at ​the Tan y Bwlch station twice but did not see which locomotive was pulling it.

Date: 10/11/16 07:05

C.P.Huntington Wrote:
> Did you get a shot of the freight train? I saw the
> only tail
> end of it at ​the Tan y Bwlch station twice but
> did not see which locomotive was pulling it.

I saw it on its morning run (8:30 ex Porthmadog) and it was no.4 Palmerston.

Date: 10/11/16 08:32
Author: march_hare

Is this event run like a North American "photo freight" where transportation of fans is provided, or is it simply a matter of driving around and picking locations on your own?

My son and I (both railfans) rode both operations two summers ago and enjoyed them immensely.  I'd love to get a crack at lineside photography, but blanch at the prospect of driving on the wrong side of the road.

Date: 10/11/16 09:24

The weekend features an enhanced service, which you can use to get to places up in the hills. I happened to drive because I wanted to get round a number of locations in the shortest possible time, all of which involved a bit of a hike. The passenger train timetable is published on the website and I think if you buy one of the all day or all weekend Rover tickets you get a diagrammatic timetable, which shows light engines, freights and empty stock workings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/16 09:27 by 86235.

Date: 10/11/16 14:45
Author: spflow

march_hare Wrote:
> Is this event run like a North American "photo
> freight" where transportation of fans is provided,
> or is it simply a matter of driving around and
> picking locations on your own?
>
>
> love to get a crack at lineside photography, but
> blanch at the prospect of driving on the wrong
> side of the road.

I don't think they would carry passengers or arrange a bus for photographers, if you have been to North Wales you will appreciate that the best bits of the railways are far away from any roads. However please don't be put off by the idea of driving on the "wrong" side of the road (quite apart from the fact that half the world does the same thing!). Just remember that this somethig that millions of drivers do each year when they travel between the UK and continental Europe. It really isn't that hard. Come over and try it. You could even learn a few words of Welsh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/16 14:46 by spflow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds