Home Open Account Help 377 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trams - Rome, Italy

Date: 10/20/16 08:16
Trams - Rome, Italy
Author: birdman

Porta Maggiore near Termini Station in Rome where a number of standard gauge tram lines and a narrow gauge interurban intersect.  The trams pass under/through an ancient Roman Aqueduct at four different places.

Date: 10/20/16 08:16
Re: Trams - Rome, Italy
Author: birdman

tram

Date: 10/20/16 13:00
Author: jfrank39

What I don't understand is why don't they repair some of the Roman stuff?  It makes no sense.  In Segovia, Spain the Roman adequaduct is still in use.

Oh, and thanks for the pics.  They are just great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 08:07 by jfrank39.

Date: 10/20/16 14:15
Author: NormSchultze

Nicely done.   

Date: 10/21/16 20:40
Author: urbaurba

We were in Rome last month and I was immediately taken with this narrow gauge railway the first time I saw it, especially the older 400 series EMUs. So much so that I rode the entire line the next day. Unfortunately the eastern terminus had been temporarily cut back in August from Giardinetti to Centocelle due to upgrades on the line.

Here's some info on the line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome%E2%80%93Giardinetti_railway

1. The most interesting feature of this line, in my opinion, is the signaled gauntlet track between Porta Maggiore and Ponte Casilino.
2. The shops at Centocelle with a couple of the newer 800 series cars.
3. Paralleling the main line east from Roma Termini station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds