Home Open Account Help 232 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Memories; Newmarket Line

Date: 10/27/16 19:30
UK Memories; Newmarket Line
Author: wheelnrail

Nearby Mildenhall is the town of Newmarket, which, for the US personnel stationed there, is nothing more than a place to party on the weekends at Innocence and maybe go to the Shopping Centre. Newmarket (and the line that serves it) is woefully underphotograhed, and rightfully so, as the sole traffic on this line are 2 Class 170 DMU's every hour from 0500 to about 2000. The line stretches from Cambridge to a junction East of Newmarket. It does see the very rare freight train, but only if a diversion off the GEML is warranted. In the 2 years I was in the UK, I've seen exactly 2 Other-Than-Passenger trains on this line, both times captured at Devil's Dyke about 5 minutes from town. Looking back I'm very glad I got the chance to shoot freight here, because I'm very certain If I didn't, it would be a while before someone else got something here.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 10/28/16 04:29
Re: UK Memories; Newmarket Line
Author: 86235

There was a time a few years back when the bridge over the Great Ouse at Ely collapsed that the line via Dullingham was very busy, but it didn't last. That Devil's Dyke shot is the only worthwhile location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds