Home Open Account Help 336 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Suggestions re: Austria?

Date: 01/12/17 16:29
Suggestions re: Austria?
Author: tmrail

My wife and I are traveling to Europe in May to do a boat trip along the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia.  I suggested that we use Vienna as our gateway city.  We plan to be there for about a week.  From there, we'll take a train to Zagreb, where we will spend two nights, and then another train to Split, where we'll start our Crotia tour.

Question: what are the "must-do" day trips by rail from Vienna?  I'm sure that we'll spend one day traveling to Salzburg, and possibly on to Innsbruck, but I would appreciate any suggestions of other routes that you might suggest.

Thanks!

Tom Murray

tmrail.com

Date: 01/13/17 00:34
Re: Suggestions re: Austria?
Author: cricketer8for9

Ride on one of the largest tram systems in the world.

Date: 01/13/17 07:50
Author: 86235

tmrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: what are the "must-do" day trips by rail
> from Vienna?  I'm sure that we'll spend one day
> traveling to Salzburg, and possibly on to
> Innsbruck, but I would appreciate any suggestions
> of other routes that you might suggest.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Murray
>
> tmrail.com
>
>
>
>  
Over the Semmering Pass line in the direction of Klagunfurt.

Date: 01/13/17 08:12
Author: meixel

While in Vienna go to a a Vienna Philharmonic concert!  Also go to the Central Cemetery and visit Beethoven's grave and see the spot where Harry Lime's grave was in "The Third Man."  We took a trolley, S-Bahn, to get there.  There is a large railroad museum near Vienna that a local friend too me to.  Has a huge number of steam locomotives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/17 06:36 by meixel.

Date: 01/13/17 09:12
Author: Hartington

Go for a ride on the Badner Bahn, sometimes known as the Wiener Lokalbahn to.....Baden.   It's a form of Interurban.

Date: 01/13/17 12:59
Author: Alexmarissa

About 4 years ago, I visited Salzburg where my son was taking college summer classes. I stayed at Hotel Imlauer at the s.e. corner of Rainerstrasse & Humboldtstrasse. It's within walking distance of the Hauptbahnhof. I got a room on the 6th floor with a view looking northward. I had a great view of the trains running on the mainline (many passenger and freight intercity trains) just across the street. I'll never forget it!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/17 13:35

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far.  These all sound like good ideas!  I'll welcome any other suggestions that people may wish to make.

Tom

Date: 01/14/17 04:36
Author: mundo

You may need more time in Austria.  Its a great country for railroads and history in general.

Vienna Choir boys should not be missed, if they are in town.

Date: 03/10/17 12:34

Having done a bit more research on the Austrian rail network, I have questions about the best locations on two of the major lines to get photos that include (a) mountain backdrops and (b) a fairly high density of freight traffic.

The two places I have in mind are:

(1)  On the Semmering line, between Payerbach and Semmering.  I see that there are several stations on this segment (Küb,  Eichberg am Semmering, Klamm-Schottwien, Breitenstein am Semmering, and Wolfsbergkogel) that can be reached via "R" trains.  Do any of these stations (or any others on the Semmering line) have anything that would make them particularly good (or bad) for photography?

(2) South of Salzburg, I'm looking at either Bischofshofen or Schwarzach-St.Veit as the destination for a short day trip.  Again, would either them work particularly well for taking pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds