Home Open Account Help 309 users online

European Railroad Discussion > European tank car identification

Date: 02/05/17 17:10
European tank car identification
Author: inCHI

I have a project where I am modeling an Iraqi train in HO Scale, which I intend to mostly be tank cars carrying something oil-related. Part of what interests me is the mix of equipment from different countries, but I don't know much about European freight cars and am curious if anyone can identify them. That would help me find the models that could represent them.

In this case, I finally found images of a tank train in the country in a video, and it seems like a video done by some teenagers who were excited to see a train come by as they were walking somewhere (if anyone is wondering about the people in these stills.)

I see a mix of cars, and am wondering what country made them, and what they might be carrying.

1/2: These two cars have two straps at the ends above the trucks which I have seen before on Russian tank cars, I'm wondering if that suggests they are of Russian origins.

3. This car has one of those straps above each truck.

Date: 02/05/17 17:11
Re: European tank car identification

These three cars look more European to me, but I don't know if they are German, French, etc.

Date: 02/05/17 17:12

Last one. Any insight is appreciated.

Date: 02/05/17 19:47

Edit: a helpful comment has indicated the cars above are LPG cars and were made in Poland.

I'm still trying to figure out if oil is carried by train in Iraq. It is very hard to research this; image searches get you little in the way of results. I found this AP video clip of service restarting between Iraq and Syria, with focus on a passenger train, but in the background were that look like more stout cars without the protective extra shield piece. I'm wondering if the carry oil, and trying to find what model might be close to them.

Date: 02/06/17 01:32
Author: 86235

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3. This car has one of those straps above each
> truck.

It says Motor Spirit i.e. petrol / gas on that third tank car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds