Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Another interesting trip out of Pueblo, CO back to Denv

Date: 05/23/13 06:43
Another interesting trip out of Pueblo, CO back to Denv
Author: waycar_rider

Here is another interesting trip out of Pueblo, CO back to Denver.

This occured on September 11, 1979. We were called out on a 166 train for 140AM. When we leave the motel, the cab takes the conductor and rear brakeman to the Union Station in Pueblo. They take the engineer and head brakeman to the roundhouse, so they can get the power.

When I called the yardmaster, he told me that our power has not arrived in Pueblo. Our power was coming in on the 725 empty coal train that was coming off the Santa Fe. He said that it should be arriving at any time. This was very unusual as the power would been serviced before calling a Denver crew.

The engineer called the depot and he told me that we had no power. I told him, if they wanted to walk back to depot, go ahead. There is a small lunch counter that was opened around the clock. So, the engineer and head brakeman came over to the depot.

The 725 did not arrive until 4AM. The Santa Fe crew had to yard the train and bring the power back to the Rio Grande service area. So, the power didn't get to the roundhouse until 5AM. The roundhouse crew had to service the power.

We ended up having the 5373-5375-5357. I had the bills for quite sometime. Our train consist of 65 cars. We finally left Pueblo at 605AM. They had called a 266 behind us.

It is really a good thing that the 266 was called. I had left the bills on the counter in the depot. The rear brakeman walks the train, then they pull down and I take the rear brakeman's grip out along with my own. We were going through Pueblo Jct, when I started getting things out of my grip. I did not have the bills. I called the Pueblo yardmaster and I told him that I left the bills in the depot. I told him that the 266 conductor could bring the bills to Denver. Done deal.

I had the train list but no bills. After leaving Pueblo, I was figuring the tonnage. I discover that we were over tonnage going up Palmer Lake. I called the trick dispatcher and told him that I needed to talk with the chief dispatcher. The Chief got on the radio. I told him that since we had been on duty since 140AM that we would like to stop in Colorado Springs, so we could eat. Then, I told him that we were over tonnage. He wanted us to reduce our train at Colorado Springs, but he wanted us to cherry pick what cars that we should set out. I told him that we had two blocks of cement. Instead doing what he wanted, I ask him, if we could set out the two blocks of cement instead. He agreed that this would work. He told us that they were calling a relief crew. He ask us, if we would reduce the train, before we ate. I said that we could do it. He said that they would pick up the tab. There was a nice Italian restaurant in the old Rio Grande depot. Why use your money, when you can use the railroad's money.

We reduced the train, so the relief crew could get over Palmer Lake. We finally had our food and the Rio Grande picked up the tab. We arrived at North Yard via company bus at 230PM. We made 5'02" overtime for the trip. The mileage for this trip was 203 miles. Our normal run was 122 miles plus 6 miles final terminal delay. The Rio Grande paid the crews the 6 miles final terminal delay, so the crews would not drag their feet trying to get extra mileage.

The South Pool you worked every day. There would be times that you would double the road. We did get a few days off every half. Our typical mileage for a half was around 2200 miles.

I have been told by many brakeman that I always seem to have a very sharp pencil!!!! After all, the money was the main concern for the crews. There would be times that we would give up any initial terminal and final terminal, so we could make overtime miles. I always figure both ways and I would see which ever way would pay us the most money.

Gary

Date: 05/23/13 13:11
Re: Another interesting trip out of Pueblo, CO back to
Author: retcsxcfm

waycar_rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is another interesting trip out of Pueblo, CO
> back to Denver.
>
> This occurred on September 11, 1979. We were called
> out on a 166 train for 140AM.
>

>
. We finally left Pueblo at 605AM.
>

> Yard via company bus at 230PM. We made 5'02"
> overtime for the trip. The mileage for this trip
> was 203 miles. Our normal run was 122 miles plus 6
> miles final terminal delay. The Rio Grande paid
> the crews the 6 miles final terminal delay, so the
> crews would not drag their feet trying to get
> extra mileage.

>
> I have been told by many brakeman that I always
> seem to have a very sharp pencil!!!! After all,
> the money was the main concern for the crews.
> There would be times that we would give up any
> initial terminal and final terminal, so we could
> make overtime miles. I always figure both ways and
> I would see which ever way would pay us the most
> money.
>
> Gary

I figure four hours 25 minutes initial terminal.
But you did use your sharp pencil and got OT which
was greater.LOL

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds