Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT Maps Wichita Falls to Oklahoma City

Date: 03/14/14 16:13
AFT Maps Wichita Falls to Oklahoma City
Author: BoilingMan

A little bit complicated: MK&T assembled the train at Sheppard Air Base, then FW&D to Ft Worth. At Ft Worth handed off to ATSF. ATSF to Oklahoma City. Finally a mile or two on the CRI&P to the display site.
Water stops at Ft Worth and Ardmore. Additional stops at Gainesville (Pilot crew change) and Purcell (P/U Press). Helper on ATSF only.
114mi FW&D / 212mi ATSF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/14 20:06 by BoilingMan.

Date: 03/15/14 02:55
Re: AFT Maps Wichita Falls to Oklahoma City
Author: DFWJIM

You must have kept great notes about your travels. That was the long way to go to get to OKC.

Date: 03/15/14 11:53
Re: AFT Maps Wichita Falls to Oklahoma City
Author: BoilingMan

Well, yes & no..
I kept a RR atlas (1948 reprint) at the time because I knew I'd never remember the sometimes convoluted routes we took. Also remember Conrail started that year, so already the identities of historic railroads were being erased and I wanted to know who's RR we were REALLY on!
As far as all the water stops etc:
The evening before we left town a "Move Order" was printed and distributed to all the various dept heads. It was an approximately 5 page document that included EVERYTHING there was to know about the next move and display site (maps, names, phone numbers, switching details, and more). Not many were printed, maybe 10 or 12. They were extremely valuable for about a week, and then forgotten the minute we arrived in the next city.
The AFT moved 138 times. I made 80 of them, and so I need those 80 'Move Orders' to write these stories. I managed to rescue (and hang on to) 37 of them from trash bin at the time. Since starting this series on TO I've collected 26 more (Thank you Wild Bill/curator and John H/Tickets!) One of the T-1 guys has promised me an archeological dig in his garage this week end and in about 3wks I'm going up to Portland to rummage through some boxes Doyle & Laurie have unearthed for me. With any luck I might come up with all 80, and, wouldn't this be great: all 138!
I will go back and update any previous TO postings as, or if, I get better information.
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds