Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT Maps Topeka to Kansas City

Date: 04/09/14 17:35
AFT Maps Topeka to Kansas City
Author: BoilingMan

The Topeka site was south of Topeka itself, so the ATSF got us back into Topeka- then Union Pacific to Kansas City. The UP added helpers: 3 GP-7's on the point. This is the only time I remember helpers not placed behind the 4449. Once in KC the UP used Centennial DD-40X 6909 to spot the train!
No water stop. Picked up the press in Bonner Springs. 65 miles.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 12:33 by BoilingMan.

Date: 04/10/14 05:26
Re: AFT Maps Topeka to Kansas City
Author: ddg

When the AFT left display at Forbes Field, got on the Santa Fe, and went across the Kaw River bridge at Topeka to be handed over to the UP for the trip to KC. I remember two or three UP GP9's were put on the point as soon as it crossed the bridge.

Date: 04/10/14 06:43

You're right! I remember the UP GP's! There were 3 of them. I'd completely forgotten this. So we went UP to KC, and not ATSF?
This is so cool!
Each leg of the AFT trip was detailed in a "Move Order" issued to various dept heads the day before the move. These describe every detail (water stops, crew changes, etc) of the move. I managed to hang on to about 35 of them. Since starting this series I've collected about 25 more (thank you Wild Bill & John Hendricks), but I'm still missing maybe 25 or so (the numbers are 'soft' because some are missing pages). Next week I'm going up to see Doyle and dig through a box of papers he saved, so I'm hoping to add to the collection. Steve Wickersham from the T-1 is pretty sure he has an East Coast collection of their moves, but an archeological garage dig is involved- I'm hoping he can come through before I reach Birmingham in my story!
Anyway, I was missing the Topeka/KC "order" and the RR atlas I kept in '76 showed Santa Fe. Any time I unearth lost info like this I will go back and make corrections to my posts- I'll fix this one later this morning. I really am striving to make my stories as accurate as I possible can (I even made phone calls to verify that it was Doc Harvey that lost the golf cart in the Mississippi!)
Thanks for your help- it means a lot!
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/14 09:39 by BoilingMan.

Date: 04/10/14 10:10

Okay, I've gone back and edited both the map and the Kansas City story (17) to include this UP routing and the 3 UP GP's. Again, thank you for your help- I'd forgotten the 3 GP's, and that was actually a pretty cool detail!
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Date: 04/10/14 10:50
Author: ddg

Correct, AT&SF from display site at Pauline to Topeka, cross over the river at Topeka, onto the UP and into KC. Everyone seemed disappointed to see the Geeps tie on to the front of 4449, and when they left town, the Geeps blew for Porubski's crossing, and 4449 never made a sound.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds