Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT enroute to Corning, NY

Date: 07/16/14 20:44
AFT enroute to Corning, NY
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Before daylight headed to Wellsboro Jct., PA to catch the AFT as it heads north on Conrail ex-NYC Corning Secondary. Weather wasn't the greatest and low shutter speeds. The section of trackage between Holliday (MP 100) and Tioga, PA (MP 90) had just three months to go before the new relocation was opened. This new track was due to the Tioga-Hammond Dam project.
1. AFT 1 South of Wellsboro Jct., PA July 16, 1976
2. AFT 1 MP 100 south end of the new relocation Holliday, PA
3. 10mph speed restriction this track has three months left of operation. Today this is under water Hammond Lake

Date: 07/16/14 20:48
Re: AFT enroute to Corning, NY

4. North end of the new relocation Tioga, PA MP 90 July 16, 1976
5. Just crossed into New York State Lawrenceville, NY
6. Crossing the Chemung River Corning, NY This bridge replaced the one that washed out June 23, 1972. Today no evidence of a bridge or railroad ever being here.

Date: 07/16/14 20:52

7. AFT 1 passing EL 1060 RS3u the only repowered RS3 that the EL did using an engine block from an E8. The 1060 sitting on the EL-NYC interchange Corning, NY July 16, 1976
8. The 1060 tied onto the rear and pulling up to the former EL main.
9. AFT 1 on the PC-EL interchange yard.

Date: 07/16/14 20:55

10. AFT 1 heading west on Main 1 heading to Painted Post to turn on A-B Spurs. Corning, NY Jul;y 16, 1976
11. EL 1060 0n the rear will pull the train onto the former Erie Rochester Division track at Painted Post, NY

Date: 07/16/14 22:25
Author: BoilingMan

Number 3 is my fave! Very nice! And I love the shots of the ALCo & caboose! (I was probably dead asleep when you took these)

Date: 07/17/14 15:09
Author: SCAX3401

Wonderful photos, thanks very much for sharing!! For those that don't know, the "new line" around the Hammond Reservoir is still in service. The Wellsboro and Corning Railroad, A Genesee & Wyoming property, still operations the northern part of the route, including this new track.

Date: 07/17/14 23:29
Author: sliderslider

fantastic photos. some great wide shots in there!

Date: 07/19/14 16:50
Author: co614

I well remember the long 10mph slow order on this leg. We had a following wind of about 10mph and therefore the air in the cab was dead still and it was beastly hot with 90% humidity. We ended up dipping rags into the Igloo cooler and wrapping our necks with them to stay awake!!!

Seemed like the slow order would never end !!

Thanks for the pictures and the memories !!!!

Ross Rowland

Date: 07/28/14 11:51
Author: march_hare

Thanks much for posting these. I was evidently shoulder to shoulder with you at Lawrenceville and again watching the RS3m tie on to the end at Corning. Amazing how much Corning has changed now.

Spent most of that day cursing my forgetfulness in leaving two rolls of Ektachrome 400 at home (in College Park MD at that time). Looks like you shot it on K64 as well?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2977 seconds