Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Do you believe in bad omens??

Date: 08/20/14 22:53
Do you believe in bad omens??
Author: aronco

In April 1988, I boarded Amtrak's train 92, the Silver Star, at Southern Pines, North Carolina, headed for Washington, D.C., and then a flight home to California. The early morning departure from Southern Pines was perfect for breakfast in the twin-unit diner, then I moved to the lounge car just ahead to enjoy the ride and finish a Tom Clancy novel. About 1100am, we were Northbound out of Rocky Mount on double track when we slowed way down, then crossed over to the "Southward" main track and picked up speed again. Back to the novel, then I heard the tell-tale hiss of the brakes going into emergency. Looking out, I noted some track maintenance equipment on the other track and I thought perhaps a track worker got too close to our train, as we were moving about 60 when the brakes came on.

Suddenly, the lounge car started bouncing up and down about a foot at a time, while pieces of ties or ballast were rattling on the underfloor of the car. The car was suddenly filled with a fine dust that made it difficult to see. After what seemed like several minutes, the train stopped. What the hell? We have derailed! Well, we won't be going anywhere for a while, so I'll go up to my car and get my bag. I walked to the end of the lounge car as the dust settled. Punching the door opener, I was surprised that the door worked well, but I wasn't ready for the view. To the right, I see the four Amfleet coaches jackknifed along the other main line. Beyond them, on their sides lie the three baggage cars and a dormitory car, on their sides, partially submerged in a swamp. Straight up the main line are two Amtrak FP-40's, lying on their sides.

I thought I might as well take a walk through the wreckage and see if I could figure out what caused this mess. I did have some experience in clearing and analyzing derailments in my work for Santa Fe. I always wanted to pull the emergency handle on an Amfleet car door, so mark that off my list.
As I walked about the scene, it became very obvious that about where my lounge car stopped, there had been a hand throw crossover facing point for Northward movement on the West or Southward track. This switch had been lined for diverging movement when we hit it at 60 or so. This normally would have been a 15 MPH turnout. The turnout rail had rolled over as the engine hit it causing the engines to roll to their sides and neatly obliterating the rest of the switch. Of course, the following cars ran out of any railroad to run on, and scattered about the embankment.

Within perhaps 15 minutes or so, the area began to fill with people - some of the passengers, some onlookers, and I encountered the train conductor. I introduced myself to him, gave him my business card from Santa Fe, and offered to help him in any way he wanted me to. Apparently this train crew was a CSX crew, not an Amtrak crew, as the Amtrak crew was not rested for their train so they CSX crew was drafted.

While the conductor checked all the derailed coaches, I shanghaied a track crew that wandered by to help me get all the baggage out of the baggage cars lying in the swamp or creek. When that project was underway, I wandered back to the open area alongside the train where the 300 to 400 passengers were congregating, waiting for word as to when and how their trips would continue.

The clearing where the passengers gathered happened to have a small graveyard hidden in some trees on one side. I remember musing that I hoped it wasn't an omen.

Near the clearing was a temporary railroad phone booth mounted in a box on a phone pole. I jimmied the lock , played with the electric switches inside, and voila! I heard voices on the line. (Do all train dispatchers go to a school to learn how to speak in a neutral monotone?) The dispatcher was glad to get a description of the accident scene, including the fact that I didn't know of any injuries.

The twin unit diner was sitting adjacent to the clearing. A light rain or mist was starting to fall, and some of the passengers were asking for something to drink. I walked over to the open kitchen door of the diner. Inside the diner, the Onboard Service Manager had all the diner staff busy inventorying everything, I suppose so they could lock up the diner and detrain. I asked the OBS person what she had to drink, and she said she would have to charge me for any items I got. I told her to give me 400 soft drinks, coffee, tea, or milk. She did, and I signed and form acknowledging receipt of the stuff. I often wonder if Amtrak ever figured who in the hell signed it.

Within another hour or so, school busses began arriving. Now a school bus may be rated for 60 school children, but when adults are on board with luggage, your are lucky to get 30 or so aboard. A box truck arrived lettered "Emporia Furniture Co.", for the luggage, and so I concluded we were heading for Emporia, Virginia.

In Emporia, the busses took everyone to the high school gymnasium. Imagine if you can, 400 people, mostly sitting on the floor, looking for their luggage, hungry, confused, not knowing where they were or their fate. The good folks of that great Southern town rose to the occasion, though, and citizens were streaming thru the door with homemade sandwiches, cakes, pies, cookies, fruit, blankets, water, everything they had that we needed. The people were magnificent. A few Amtrak managers showed up, looked around, and left. I never saw another Amtrak person.

Somehow, the work of coordinating the waiting, and then the loading of the motley fleet of charter busses when they arrived about dark, fell to me and the staff of the high school. Then, as the busses are finally ready to go towards Washington, the drivers tell me the passengers wanted to know if there would be a meal stop somewhere as they were hungry. Sure, why not! There's always a McDonalds out by the freeway, so I rode the first bus out there. The workers at McDonalds were a bit surprised when six busses pulled in, but I convinced the manager to bill Amtrak for the tab. Gave him my business card too - never heard a word!

Six hours later, the great fleet of busses arrived in Washington at Union Station. Amtrak did a good job of arranging rooms for missed connections passengers. When I presented my ticket, the passenger agent told me "You're riding on a discounted ( half-fare) ticket because you're an employee. You don't get a room. I think she was shocked at the words I used. Someone in a suit behind took her aside, whispered in her ear, and low and behold, I had a room at the Marriot and a free cab ride too!

The next morning, I rode a MARC train out to BWI airport, where I boarded an American airlines flight. After an hour delay at the gate, the pilot announced the plane had a bad engine. We would have to wait for another aircraft. After the previous day, believe me I a little nervous on that flight.
Later I learned that indeed, there no injury claims from passengers. There were, however, 11 Amtrak employees who reported injuries.

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 19:09 by aronco.

Date: 08/21/14 08:09
Re: Do you believe in bad omens??
Author: tomstp

Norm, that is a great story and some good humor too! Everytime you post I find it greatly entertaining.

Date: 08/21/14 08:30
Author: Chico43

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Later I learned that indeed, there no injury
> claims from passengers. There were, however, 11
> Amtrak employees who reported injuries.
>
>
>
> TIOGA PASS

Hmmm.........Larry H.Parker didn't hear about it?

Date: 08/21/14 18:34
Author: nicknack

Your harrowing story certainly shows that no good deed goes unpunished!

Date: 08/21/14 21:43
Author: donsrich

My 30+ years of railroading tells me that there should have been some form of signal protection or a timeout lock box controlled by the dispatcher for permission for use of that switch, or one of the MofW folks lined that first part of the crossover right in front, or under, the engine. I can't remember if DD-251 (rules for double track during that time) rules were still in effect in the mid to late 80's, or by then it was governed by signal indication. Someone here really screwed up. This shouldn't have happened!?!?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 21:52 by donsrich.

Date: 08/22/14 05:26
Author: mopacrr

donsrich Wrote:
> My 30+ years of railroading tells me that there
> should have been some form of signal protection or
> a timeout lock box controlled by the dispatcher
> for permission for use of that switch, or one of
> the MofW folks lined that first part of the
> crossover right in front, or under, the engine. I
> can't remember if DD-251 (rules for double track
> during that time) rules were still in effect in
> the mid to late 80's, or by then it was governed
> by signal indication. Someone here really screwed
> up. This shouldn't have happened!?!?
Correct, Most of the time, authority to enter to enter the main track is given by the dispatcher,or Track & Time is given between two control points. Most main track switches have a electric lock, that once unlocked, will not allow the switch to be operated for a specified amount of time;usually five minutes. At locations in CTC Territory where the speed is below 20 mph, electric lock switches are not required ,but for anyone needing to enter the main track ,must first secure permission from the dispatcher , and then line the switch, and then wait 5 minutes before entering the main track. Other roads may have other requirements, but Missouri Pacific/Union Pacific are what I am familiar with.

Date: 08/22/14 05:35
Author: knightswell

Awesome story - and kudos to you for pitching in to help! And yes, I believe in omens.

Date: 08/22/14 07:44
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Great story Norm... Amtrak is lucky that they had someone of your caliber to take charge in the midst of chaos. People need direction at times and you were there to take charge. Your final sentence reminded me of the old joke about when a City Bus crashes on a major street.. there will be 20 people on the bus but after the accident 40 people will be on the ground writhering in pain !

keep the great stories coming !

Date: 08/22/14 18:29
Author: SPLoopConductor

That's a story... and an experience you'll never forget! (as I recall, I think I was also injured in that one... gotta get that claim in... )

Thanks, Norm!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 08/22/14 22:21
Author: aronco

A little addition to this story - In 1990, (April fools day, actually), I took a buyout from Santa Fe and opened a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Barstow. After a couple years, business was picking up and I could see there was life after railroads. About 1992 or so, a fellow came into my store and asked for me by name. "I'm looking for a feller name Norm Orfall. Ya'all know him?"
Turns out he was the fireman on the ill-fated Amtrak train that derailed in 1988. He injured his back in the accident when he was thrown about the cab of the locomotive, and he apparently never worked again. He described the difficulty he had in getting a settlement from CSX and/or Amtrak, in fact, CSX fired the entire crew for many rule violations which contributed to the wreck. He told me the union wanted me to testify at the disciplinary hearing a month or so afterwards, but CSX said they didn't know where I was.
Apparently, the double track railroad at the scene of the accident was operated as rule 251 (current of traffic) territory. East track Northbound, and West track Southbound. I did not see any indications of CTC such as power switches. When the dispatcher wanted the train to cross over and use the "wrong" main, he would have had to protect the movement with train orders holding opposing trains North of the crossover to be used to return to the Northbound track. On most railroads, movements against the current of traffic are limited to 49 MPH as there are no governing block signals against the current of traffic. The lingering question is...who lined the crossover switch at the derailment site without authority? Apparently, the tie gang had been working steadily Northward and the "understanding" was that some one would line and re-line the crossover for Amtrak to expedite the move,
The problem was the regular Amtrak crew was not rested to return on the train and the freight crew knew nothing of this "arrangement" until they spied the switch lined against them. It didn't help that the crew as moving every bit of 65MPH, too fast for conditions. In fact, if there was an operative signal system for Northbound trains of the West track, the crew could not have had a clear signal if the switch was lined against them.
This was a classic accident, with a clear cause, but with several additional rule violations amplifying the results.
Does anyone know what signal system was in effect between Rocky Mt. North Carolina and Emporia, Va. in 1988?

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 22:24 by aronco.

Date: 08/22/14 23:45
Author: SCAX3401

aronco Wrote:
> Does anyone know what signal system was in effect
> between Rocky Mt. North Carolina and Emporia, Va.
> in 1988?

That is/was the North End Subdivision of CSX Florence Division at the time. It was current Rule 251 Current of Traffic with Automatic Block Signals (right hand running).

Date: 08/23/14 09:03
Author: mopacrr

aronco Wrote:
> A little addition to this story - In 1990, (April
> fools day, actually), I took a buyout from Santa
> Fe and opened a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Barstow.
> After a couple years, business was picking up and
> I could see there was life after railroads. About
> 1992 or so, a fellow came into my store and asked
> for me by name. "I'm looking for a feller name
> Norm Orfall. Ya'all know him?"
> Turns out he was the fireman on the ill-fated
> Amtrak train that derailed in 1988. He injured
> his back in the accident when he was thrown about
> the cab of the locomotive, and he apparently never
> worked again. He described the difficulty he had
> in getting a settlement from CSX and/or Amtrak, in
> fact, CSX fired the entire crew for many rule
> violations which contributed to the wreck. He
> told me the union wanted me to testify at the
> disciplinary hearing a month or so afterwards, but
> CSX said they didn't know where I was.
> Apparently, the double track railroad at the scene
> of the accident was operated as rule 251 (current
> of traffic) territory. East track Northbound, and
> West track Southbound. I did not see any
> indications of CTC such as power switches. When
> the dispatcher wanted the train to cross over and
> use the "wrong" main, he would have had to protect
> the movement with train orders holding opposing
> trains North of the crossover to be used to return
> to the Northbound track. On most railroads,
> movements against the current of traffic are
> limited to 49 MPH as there are no governing block
> signals against the current of traffic. The
> lingering question is...who lined the crossover
> switch at the derailment site without authority?
> Apparently, the tie gang had been working steadily
> Northward and the "understanding" was that some
> one would line and re-line the crossover for
> Amtrak to expedite the move,
> The problem was the regular Amtrak crew was not
> rested to return on the train and the freight crew
> knew nothing of this "arrangement" until they
> spied the switch lined against them. It didn't
> help that the crew as moving every bit of 65MPH,
> too fast for conditions. In fact, if there was an
> operative signal system for Northbound trains of
> the West track, the crew could not have had a
> clear signal if the switch was lined against
> them.
> This was a classic accident, with a clear cause,
> but with several additional rule violations
> amplifying the results.
> Does anyone know what signal system was in effect
> between Rocky Mt. North Carolina and Emporia, Va.
> in 1988?
>
> TIOGA PASS
Tie gang crew working with a understanding with the regular Amtrack crew. If that isn't some sloppy rules
compliance. There is so much wrong with that,I don't know where to begin. I am sure CSX had a form B approach order, or what ever rule CSX had at the time to cover approach orders. The gang should have informed the crew that it was crossing over to the opposing main. The CSX dispatcher should issued the appropriate track bulletin to cover the movement on the opposing main. I am sure there is more if I had CSX's rule in effect at the time.

Date: 08/23/14 17:30
Author: xcnsnake

here's a powerful one...

http://caboosecoffee.blogspot.ca/2012/08/there-but-for-grace-of-god.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/14 17:31 by xcnsnake.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1581 seconds