Home Open Account Help 404 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > RR Lantern ID

Date: 08/26/14 17:55
RR Lantern ID
Author: bigmc83

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I would love anyone's knowledge on a RR lantern I received from my in laws (their grandfather was a brakeman on the Monon) The lantern has the glass insert, is squarish, and has the words "Dietz" stamped on the base. Research shows they were a manufacturer and the approximate date I have from family on this lantern is late 1800s. Any further info would be appreciated.

I'm also attaching some pics of other memorabalia in case someone can shed some light on them. The PC item was a stamp for the letterhead. The pictures are crude cellphone pics. I will try to get better ones, or I will take pictures as needed.

Thanks!

Sean McCaffery

Date: 08/26/14 20:35
Re: RR Lantern ID
Author: ddg

An Adlake-Kero on the left, or Adams & Westlake, with 3 1/4" globe. A short globe Handlan on the right. A Dietz barn lantern in the middle, usually not RR.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 05:41 by ddg.

Date: 08/27/14 06:51
Author: SR2

I have a Dietz lantern like the one shown, stamped C.M. & St. P. They were
not frequently used by railroads, but did get railroad use.

Date: 09/03/14 18:57
Author: DNRY122

Here's San Francisco Muni line car 0304 at the old Geneva Car House in 1967. Note the array of "barn lanterns" with red glass for setting out around work areas hanging from the cab.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds