Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 41

Date: 10/01/14 11:19
My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 41
Author: BoilingMan

41 Newport News, VA Sept. 30 – Oct. 3/ Norfolk, VA Oct. 5-7

Both the Newport News and Norfolk display sites were on military bases – Ft Eustis and the Norfolk Navel Base. (oh, now there's a fun typo) When I sat down to write this story I was surprised to find I hadn't taken any photos of either place! Odd. Was I simply out of film? I didn't venture away from the train at either stop, I guess I was feeling a bit spent after trying to absorb so much in DC.

As we entered the last months of the AFT a few things changed.

Space in the Pullman (the 201 Car) had, until now, always been held for the use of any visiting management from AFT Foundation headquarters in Bailey's Crossroads, VA. About this time it was apparent that while this maybe made sense while we were out west, now the need was all but nonexistent. So two rooms were given over to Operations. Jim (night crew chief) and I had the highest seniority in the bunk car, so we got the rooms – C and D. This was a 4-4-2 sleeper, and these were an adjoining Compartment and Drawing Room. We combined the two, using C as the bedroom and Drawing Room D as the “living room.” (Truth told: Jim “entertained” often, and I spent decidedly more nights on the couch in D than in my own bed.
What?
Oh.
Too much information?

Also, around this time, the Pie Car changed hands. New hire John Long took over from Pie Car Mindy. This is worth mentioning for two reasons (Okay three – Mindy was well liked, and would be missed)
First was simply John's name. We had a very tall, thin John in Operations who had early on picked up the nick-name “Long John.”  Adding a John Long to the mix caused no small amount of confusion. Even now, years later, if either name comes up at an AFT reunion there is a slight hesitation in conversation to make sure everyone is talking about the same person.
Secondly, John Long fancied himself a baker, and decided straight away the Pie Car should obviously serve pie! (how come no one else thought of that?). Forever after, John baked on move-night. At midnight, after we turned over the train to the hosting railroad for switching, fresh hot pie with ice cream was waiting!
Bless him, the man made a mean crust!

Another change was with the returning 4449 crew. They were now short Russ. While home that summer, Russ had returned to his job with the phone company – and got himself promoted! With not much more than three months remaining in the AFT tour, he had decided to stay put. While one man missing might not sound like much, he was one of only six – so his absence was definitely felt.
Unless some sort of maintenance prevented it, the 4449 was kept hot. And this, of course, requires, a constant fireman. By this time I had endeared (probably not the word they'd prefer) myself enough that when I suggested they teach me the ins and outs of hostling, they happily agreed. My days were mostly free anyway, so why not? Stationary firing was more about paying attention to the water glass than anything. Actually adding water was simple enough, and the oil-fed fire required virtually no adjustment. The real time consumer while sitting on the locomotive was answering the public's questions. Lots and lots and lots (how many is that? Three? Mmm ... one more – ) and lots of questions! I know the questions bug some guys, but usually I enjoyed it. I was pleased the public cared enough to ask, and at this point there weren't many that stumped me – except weight. I could never remember how much a GS-4 weighed.
Look lady: it's really heavy. OK?
Jeez.

SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Fun Fact: A fully fueled 747-400 weighs (much) more than the 4449 … and it FLIES!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/14 23:19 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/01/14 23:10
Re: My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 41
Author: NGotwalt

You didn't probably take photos at Eustis or Norfolk, because it was on a military base, where generally cameras are frowned upon. After all you could have been a Soviet spy.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 10/06/14 18:50
Author: sgerken

NGotwalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You didn't probably take photos at Eustis or
> Norfolk, because it was on a military base, where
> generally cameras are frowned upon. After all you
> could have been a Soviet spy.
> Cheers,
> Nick

That may not necessarily be true. While I was never in the military, I did spend Jan of '84 in Alaska at a remote Air Force Radar station that was used to watch for ballistic missile from the Soviet Union and track their satellites. I was there helping install and debug software for a new computer to control the radars and analyze the data from them. There was no restrictions on photography except in the building containing the radar control center.

Date: 10/06/14 19:08
Author: BoilingMan

No, it's not true- we were on military bases of all sorts with the Freedom Train, and there were never any restrictions on photography.
I assumed the writer was joking.
Most likely I ate up the last of my film in DC getting those shots of the morning group photo and Ross leaving with the T-1 and didn't find a place (or the money?) to restock.

If you Google around you can find pictures of the train at Ft. Eustis.
SR

Date: 10/11/14 12:33
Author: emd_mrs1

From what I have heard, the Ft Eustis EMD MRS1 coupled on and brought the entire train down the branch onto the base.

It was placed just inside the main gate (James Tower) with the 4449 facing outward. It blocked a number of crossings excepting the main traffic circle. I have the AFT train parking diagram somewhere around here.

School children including me (8th grade I think) visited the train on weekdays and it was open to the public on the weekend. I had no opportunity to see the engine except from the window of a passing car or bus. Apparently my teachers and parents thought a bunch of old supposedly important stuff on display should be more interesting that a live steam locomotive. I think not, but they didn't listen.

I have collected some pictures of the train on the old C&O (night run), one on Ft Eustis and parked in Norfolk but have not gotten permission to share them yet.

Michael

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0775 seconds