Home Open Account Help 408 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 42

Date: 10/08/14 11:33
My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 42
Author: BoilingMan

42 Richmond, VA Oct. 8-14/ Fredericksburg, VA Oct 15-16

Another military base, the U.S. Army Defense General Supply Depot, but this one was very park-like. There was even an area that was marked off as a wild life preserve with a pond and a picnic area! Make baby duckies, Not war!
The depot had a small GE centercab switcher that did the honors spotting the train in a very clean open yard that we shared only with RF&P business car ONE. I would assume the ONE was there because of the AFTs visit, but it came and went on its own, not with us. I don't know who was in the car.
Our other celebrity visitor was Lady Bird Johnson. She was a co-chair (along with Betty Ford and Donald Kendall) of the origional AFT Advisory Board. ( Advisory Board? I've no clear idea what that means.) I don't remember that she was around for very long that day – mostly just went through the train.

Photo 1. The depot's switcher.
Photo 2. Lady Bird.
Photo 3. Our 205 with RF&P's ONE

In 1976, the Auto-Train was a private company, half way through its 10 year, 1971-81, run. (Amtrak would revive the service in about 1983.)  I'd never seen the train, and with the SCL main nearby, now was my chance. I calculated that if the Auto-Train was leaving Lorton, VA, at about 4 or 5 p.m., then maybe I could catch it before dark when it passed. It made no scheduled stops, so it was difficult to track its progress. But my luck held, and I got some roll-by shots. That was one long train! And the windmill on the caboose was certainly different.

Photo 4. Auto-Train's U-36B's.
Photo 5. The original AT was a rolling museum of ATSF, UP, and WP domes, along with ATSF, ACL, L&N, N&W, RF&P, SAL, UP, and Wabash diners and sleepers. Impressive (or frightening, if you were with their mechanical dept!)
Photo 6. Check out that windmill!
Photo 7. While I was out there, I caught one of Amtrak's Florida bound trains too. This is most likely 81, the Silver Star.

An interesting project began in Richmond. Doyle and crew began the process of replacing brass on the '49. They disassembled the rods and valves and took measurements. I don't recall the pistons themselves ever coming apart. The new brass would be delivered and installed by Miami. When the AFT returned the 4449 back to her owner, the City of Portland, she'd not be tired and spent! Speculation as to whether there'd actually be a life for the '49 after the AFT (or as to whether or not we'd ever see her in proper Daylight colors) was a popular pastime. It seemed a stretch at the time. I, for one, leaned towards the view that Portland would put her in a museum and only be interested in her AFT notoriety. It was my prediction they'd assume the SP's Daylight trains were long forgotten.
Stock market advice, anyone?
Maybe I can help with your Lotto number picks?

Photo 8. Doyle, Tom, and Al (on the ladder).
Phot0 9. After measuring, putting things back together. Doyle and Tommy. (Tom passed away in '06 – we've lost a few of our family over the years.)
Photo 10. Richmond sunset.

Fredericksburg.
I've got nothing.
I have the maps, synopsis and an itinerary that insists we were there, but I sure don't remember it!  No photos. No stories. Nothin'
I suppose it was bound to happen.

SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/14 12:28 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/08/14 11:35
Re: My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 42

cont 1

Date: 10/08/14 11:36

cont 2

Date: 10/08/14 11:37

cont 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.099 seconds