Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT Maps Greensboro to Charlotte

Date: 10/22/14 08:59
AFT Maps Greensboro to Charlotte
Author: BoilingMan

October 25, 1976
Another fairly simple move, all Southern 92 miles. We changed pilot crews at Salisbury. No service stops. P/U press at Kannapolis. SOU switchers at both ends of the run again. I think the line in Charlotte is a light rail line now.

Date: 10/22/14 15:15
Re: AFT Maps Greensboro to Charlotte
Author: F40PHR231

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the line in
> Charlotte is a light rail line now.

It is indeed. I spent a few nights in downtown Charlotte while attending the Streamliners event a couple stops away on the Piedmont train, and had no idea the AFT was on display at the very light-rail stop I used for transferring to the connecting bus to Amtrak depot. Light rail in this section is elevated, so was the display train on ground level, or some sort of elevated fill?

Date: 10/22/14 15:47
Author: BoilingMan

Well, it wasn't a light rail line at the time.
Yes the track was elevated, and the ramps up to the entrance & exit were pretty crazy- I wrote about it and it will be in the next installment (#45) with a photo.
The public couldn't walk alongside the train, the footing was too dangerous. Each car had a fire escape ladder. I cant remember how we pulled THAT off!
SR

Date: 10/26/14 17:36
Author: chico

Awesome picture in the rain at night on the platform.

Thanks boiling man for your recounts. great series of threads.

Chico

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds