Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 45

Date: 10/30/14 11:01
My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 45
Author: BoilingMan

45 Raleigh, NC Oct. 29-Nov. 1/ Greenville, SC Nov. 3-4

First, a little unfinished business from Charlotte: Ramps.
At each site we needed to build an entrance and exit ramp for the train. Each was unique – rarely, if ever, the same. Some were simple straight shots, others serpentine to get around some obstacle or another. I always thought crossing water was kinda cool. Ramp configurations got named after cities, so the discussion when we pondered each new site would go something like, “How about we start with a Wichita and finish with a Bethlehem ?” “Hmmm ... a Bethlehem sounds good, but I don't think a Wichita will reach far enough. How about a Providence?”
And then there was the Charlotte ... Damn! Nothing even came close to a Charlotte. The train sat on a high fill, and we needed to drop about 20 or 30 feet to the ground. The photo tells all ...

Photo 1. The Mighty Charlotte!
(Two TO members in this shot: Exiled SP5312 in plaid shirt & I think that's towazy tilting the white platform)
Photo 2. As a comparison: Tony and the, rather tame, Dallas.

After firing that night out of Charlotte, I dropped back to my room in the 201 at about 3 a.m. Putting this story together, I was a little surprised to find that I'd taken photos from the Crew Car behind the '49 as we came into Raleigh the next morning. I guess I didn't sleep long. We had stopped in Durham to water the locomotive and pick up the press, so that must be where I walked forward. (There was no way to pass through the train while we were traveling.)

Photo 3. Coming into Raleigh.
Photo 4. Same.
Photo 5. Switching in Raleigh (the flats have already been set out).

Raleigh was out near a state fairground, and I didn't really explore the area. Engine sitting was becoming a regular pastime.
The trip to Greenville was a decent length and uneventful, in fact Greenville itself was kinda uneventful – not that I'm complaining. We were out at an airport turned industrial park. I don't remember too much about it.

SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Date: 10/30/14 11:02
Re: My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 45
Author: BoilingMan

cont 1

Date: 10/31/14 10:13
Re: My Dumb Luck: the AFT years 45
Author: towazy

Yep,I believe that is me. I know I was there building that ramp,and by the process of elimination,the guy with his back to the camera has to be me!

As for that ramp,it will forever be talked about in AFT lore. at least by those of us who built it!..LOL. I often wondered what people with height issues thought upon exiting the train and being "hearded" down that thing."noway I'm going down that!...But you have to,the belt is still running!" Here are a couple of more pics of it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds