Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > A 4449 Story

Date: 12/06/14 10:10
A 4449 Story
Author: tehachcond

I've been reading with great interest "Boiling Man's" stories about the 4449 and the American Freedom Train. This brings to mind another 4449 story I was involved with.
I am a retired SP/UP conductor, and I spent a lot of my career working the Los Angeles to Bakersfield run.
On the night in question, the 4449 was parked in Los Angeles at the old Local Yard. 4449 was in town filming scenes for the movie "Tough Guys." I, along with engineer Jimmy W----n were called for the old LABRF. Now Jimmy was a great guy, but he was very gullible. He would believe almost anything you told him, and as a result, he was the frequent butt of practical jokes.
I got to work first, and after a few minutes, Jimmy walked in. The conversation went like this:
"Hey Jim, did you see that steam engine as you drove in?"
"Yeah."
"Well, go over and get on it. They've been doing some repair work on it, and they want to use it as our power tonight."
"Gosh Brian, I've never run a steam engine before. I'm going to need a pilot or something."
"Don't worry," I said. "I'm a qualified steam fireman and I'll be working the fire, and I'll show you what to do."
"Well OK, I guess that will be all right."
I figured I better let him in on the gag and told him that it would be awhile before our actual power would be ready, and he had time to go over and take a look at the 4449. Since she was under steam, I knew they would have someone on fire watch and would be more than happy to show him around.
After about 20 minutes, he came back to the yard office and exclaimed, "My God. I've never seen so many levers, valves, gauges, and dials in my life. Do you really know what they all do?"
Most of them," I said, even though I've never fired a big engine like the 4449 of course. Anyway, we boarded our more conventional diesel power and made a routine trip to Bakersfield.

Brain Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor

Date: 12/06/14 12:21
Re: A 4449 Story
Author: BoilingMan

Aww, you should have let him go- no harm would have come of it. During the AFT, and all the years since, Doyle & Co have encountered all manner of foolishness. This one sounds fairly harmless. And I'm pretty sure one they'd have found amusing- once it was all sorted out!
SR

Date: 12/06/14 23:08
Author: Txhighballer

I often wonder if anyone was ever tempted to use any of the AFT engines on layover.Old school guys knew what they were and what they could do, but I wonder what Doyles' response would have been....

Date: 12/06/14 23:34
Author: BoilingMan

Precisely why he never left the keys in her.
SR

Date: 12/07/14 14:40
Author: dcautley

To this day, very few people know which door mat the key is under.

-dc

Date: 12/07/14 19:47
Author: Txhighballer

I heard he hides it behind the air pump....

Date: 12/13/14 17:45
Author: rob_l

4449 actually did serve as solo power for the LABRF Eugene - Portland in April, 1981, courtesy of Asst. Supt. Bob Melbo. Classiest boxcar merchandise hotshot I ever saw, making for a very memorable chase.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 12/19/14 22:49
Author: mtnwestrail

rob_l Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4449 actually did serve as solo power for the
> LABRF Eugene - Portland in April, 1981, courtesy
> of Asst. Supt. Bob Melbo. Classiest boxcar
> merchandise hotshot I ever saw, making for a very
> memorable chase.

Have you posted any photos of that chase online, Rob?

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds