Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > On This Day... December 8, 1980... 34 Years Ago...

Date: 12/08/14 23:26
On This Day... December 8, 1980... 34 Years Ago...
Author: SPLoopConductor

I was watching the Los Angeles, CA, area TV news, when a break-in news bulletin interrupted the regular broadcast: John Lennon had been shot and killed outside his apartment building in New York City! While still watching a "live" news feed from the scene, some 5 minutes later, my telephone rang. I was surprised to hear, "Railroad calling L.A. Fredeen", as I was 25 times out on the Brakeman's extra board and didn't expect to be called until the next morning. The Southern Pacific train-crew dispatcher, located at Taylor Yard (just a few blocks from my home) then said, "Larry, you and 19 others are cut-off the L.A. Brakeman's extra board, what would you like to do?" I was shocked to hear that, as the word around the RR was that the company may be cutting 5 to 10 from the board sometime that week, but not 20! As I recovered from the crew dispatcher's statement, I told him, (it was Ron Kuhn) "Just put me to the "Bump-Board", and I'll figure out a move tomorrow". Then I told him, "Wow, John Lennon's dead, have you heard?" He said the office hadn't heard, and then asked me, when? I said "They just broke into the news with a bulletin"... at that point he yelled to everybody in the room, the sad news. After a few more words about making a move, we ended the call.

The next day, I made the 5 minute drive to the Yard Office, to check out the jobs posted on the crew room / locker room wall. After looking at the yard jobs for some time, I figured the best job for me would be the "Top-End, "A" Yard Herder". The midnight shift was going "No-Bid", so I called the Yard Crew dispatcher to make my move. I was placed in the position, and told them I would report for that evening's duty. It was a very fun and 'different' part of my railroad experience. I found during my yard student trips, that for me, working in the yard was very boring, and that I liked 'action' vs. a couple of moves, then sit in the shanty... in all the cigarette and cigar smoke... 'normal' life of a Switchman. Normally I worked under the regular "Top-End" Midnight Yardmaster, R.A. "Dick" Harrison, but others would also work the position, people like Don Terry, "Ace" Kennedy, (who always addressed folks as "Chief") all very sharp railroaders. I usually had the shanty to myself, being told of the future moves needed via the speaker on the shanty wall. Following proper procedure, I painted my signal-light bulb on my lantern, green, the proper color for a herder's lantern signal. I got many good comments from co-workers about using the proper color light. This was before the wide spread use of portable pac-set radios, so a train entering Taylor from the west could get confused with all the white lantern lights of all the crews working at the Top-End. Through my use of the green lamp, trains knew I was the Herder when I signaled them. Since I was also the Safety Committee Chairman for my UTU Local 240, I would bring my typewriter to work with me. Between moves, I could work on safety related letters, so there wasn't any boring 'switchman time'. Around 4:30 - 5:00 am, I would put the typewriter away in my car, that way, if the Terminal Superintendent (George V. DeLellis, AKA "JAWS") dropped by on his way into the yard, he wouldn't see me working on safety matters & letters. He was often on the receiving end of those letters! One time, he almost caught me putting it away in the trunk of the car, by about 30 seconds! WHEW! I must say, it was a fun, different side of railroading to have worked as the herder... just the one drawback, 11:59 pm to 7:59 am.

I was cut-off for a bit more than 3 months, being called back to the "road" on my birthday, March 16, 1981. (Another easy way to remember the date.)

That was going to be the only time I would be cut from the "road" board, and I'll always remember the evening that it happened!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 12/09/14 12:24
Re: On This Day... December 8, 1980... 34 Years Ago...
Author: tehachcond

Larry, by mentioning Delellis' name, we could start a whole new thread. I remember one time I was in the office for something during the time Delellis was a terminal officer; I forget his title at the time when George Basieri, who was the SUNA (switchmans) Local Chairman at the time arrived to conference time claims.
The door closed behind him, and then commenced the darnedest screaming and yelling I've ever heard! I asked the secretary if I needed to go in there and break up a fight, but she just replied, "It happens every time Basieri comes in here. They are just settling things in the Italian fashion."
A few minutes later, it got quiet, the door opened, and George and George came out laughing and good-naturedly arguing as to who was going to buy lunch.
Thus were things done in those days on the Southern Pacific.

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor

Date: 12/09/14 13:10
Author: cewherry

SPLoopConductor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Following proper procedure, I
> painted my signal-light bulb on my lantern, green,
> the proper color for a herder's lantern signal. I
> got many good comments from co-workers about using
> the proper color light. This was before the wide
> spread use of portable pac-set radios, so a train
> entering Taylor from the west could get confused
> with all the white lantern lights of all the crews
> working at the Top-End. Through my use of the
> green lamp, trains knew I was the Herder when I
> signaled them.

Although I had left the SP by the time of your story it brings back a lot of
memories of my time there from 1962-1979. Yes, herders were supposed
to be giving lantern signals with a green light. I was always a little
nervous during daylight hours trying to 'read' the Los Angeles switchmen's
track signs. IIRC there were about 29 tracks in the 'A' yard and amazingly
each track had a different hand signal! I learned hand signals during my
brief stint on the Pacific Electric and I always thought those guys had the
the simplest system; just 10 different signs. If they wanted to 'say' 24 they
just gave two 10 signs (forearms crossed and held overhead thereby making a Roman 10 or X),
followed by a four; (grasp either thumb with one hand and show the four fingers). The Snakes
went through all manner of gyrations, tapping elbows, heels, knees and other body parts
on the way to reaching whatever number they wanted. Ah, those were the days,
never to return I'm afraid.
Yes, 'Ace' Kennedy. I remember his soft southern drawl and the cigar with the boyish face.

Great story, Larry

Date: 12/09/14 18:08
Author: spnudge

Good old George.

We were having a problem with the hotel where the SP put Coast crews while laying over in LA. I had some time going on duty and he was down at the engine crew. I button holed him and asked if he could do anything about the place. It was the Figueroa Hotel and I told him the restaurant was awful and the only other place to eat was the Pantry. Why people loved that place is beyond me. The roaches were huge and the stainless area where the cooks put out the orders was a brown color. I watched a plate sliding on out and that brown turned bright metal as the sea of roaches parted for the plate. I won't go into the vermin running around. I told George the hotel itself was filthy too, with a lot of old women standing in the elevator and peeing on the floor to roaches in the room. I told George that I had worked a deal with the AAA approved motel next door that even had free TVs in every room.( The Fig charged a $1 a day for an old piece of crap that got one station) that would save the SP about $40K to $80K a year. They would even provide some transportation to the yard. The place had a lot of cops, FBI and the like that stayed there so it was safe. I told him I had sent a letter to the Superintendent and he refused to change it. He told me he would check on it and get back to me.

Well a few weeks later I caught another run to LA out of SLO. When I tied up, I looked him up and he drove down to the engine crew and gave me a ride to the hotel. He said he and two other train masters dressed in bibs and brought their own grips. He had a carryall drop him and the two others off at the hotel and checked in. Long story short, he said "...he wouldn't even put his mother-in-law in the place." He stated he couldn't do anything himself but it would up to the Superintendent to make the move. He wrote me a letter to the effect but I still could not get Thurston off the dime.

I finally sent the file up to the BLE General Chairman who had a meeting with the General Manager at the glass house. All of a sudden I received a letter from the GM and told me to get all the information together and he would take care of the move. Well, the outfit that owned the Fig kept calling me at home in Atascadero, wanting to buy me lunch, you name it, $?, to keep from losing the contract. (All the SP contracts were 10 days notice to cancel same.

We moved, and what a change. Years later, they moved us to the Holiday Inn in Burbank and we used "Red Top" cabs and they billed the SP.

George came through for us but he never said anything about who was getting paid under the table to keep us at the Figueroa. Didn't take me long or the GM either.

Oh, those days in LA. I have other stories about the Top End of "A" yard but at another time.

Nudge

Date: 12/27/14 21:56
Author: calpoly48

great story! I clicked on the thread because December 8 is my parents' anniversary and I was born 10 days later. good tidbits on the pantry/fig/holiday inn!

Date: 12/28/14 17:13
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Hey Rock great story... you were up there with the other infamous Top End of A Yard herders.. Catman ! Jeff Mudgett, Healy, and a few others. Ace called everyone Cheif and also Puttner !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds