Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Power Short Grab Anything

Date: 01/02/15 17:23
Power Short Grab Anything
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Right after the Conrail Split us on the Southern Tier found we had a constant power shortage. Most of late Summer and into Fall I was working the H05 an afternoon yard local out of Gang mills, NY. One of our industries that we took care of is World Kitchen which was one time part of Corning Glass. Couple of the plant buildings once belonged to the Fallbrook Railroad later was taken over by the NYC&HRR.
To switch the plant we needed two four axle units with our cars sandwiched in the middle as we would travel down the Corning Industrial Track from Gang Mills to Corning. Part was originally the NYC Corning Branch and the rest went through downtown passing the World Headquarters of Corning Inc. Corning Inc did not like us passing the offices in daylight so we for the most part went late in the day.
Since we were power short and World Kitchen needed their cars we would grab anything we could use. A few time even took six axle units although they were timetable restricted the customer needed their product.
1 NS H05 SP 9748 GP60 and NS SD70 August 16, 1999 Corning, NY
2.NS H05 CP 5776 SD40-2 and NS 5166 GP38-2 September 2, 1999
3.NS H05 CN 9479 and sister September 17, 1999

Date: 01/02/15 17:25
Re: Power Short Grab Anything

4. About out of sunlight NS H05 BN 7149 SD40-2 former LNG unit October 29, 1999
5. NS H87 daylight job using BN 7149 at Gang Mills, NY October 30, 1999

Date: 01/03/15 06:47
Author: 3rdswitch

That's quite the variety.
JB

Date: 01/03/15 14:33
Author: Out_Of_Service

and who eats it if the 6 axle hits the dirt on the industrial ... the crew yardie TM ??? ... i see goo maps WK is still an active customer

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/15 14:34 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 01/03/15 16:03

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and who eats it if the 6 axle hits the dirt on the
> industrial ... the crew yardie TM ??? ... i see
> goo maps WK is still an active customer
>
> Posted from Android

Had the blessing from the Yardmaster and the okay after talking to the Track Supervisor. They both said it depended on who the crew was. Then I looked on Bing maps and the satellite view of Corning and the old Fallbrook plant area. Much of the old Fallbrook Plant has been torn down then I saw a street just to the east named Roundhouse Lane. For the Fallbrook plant area was the location of the Fallbrook RR Yard and roundhouse.

Date: 01/07/15 20:28
Author: DrLoco

I had a similar 6-axle incident back in that blur of 1999-2002 that was the Conrail Split (although I was on the CSX side). In my case, I pointed out the restriction, was told by the yardmaster to go anyway, went on the ground, and put it back on with the help of that yardmaster and the track inspector and a few tie butts. Different times, they were. We all still had the Conrail "get it done, we don't care how" mentality...most of the guys I worked with survived the PC years, and were very keenly aware just how tenuous railroading can be where the rails meet the customer's dock door...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds