Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > The advantage of being a "foamer"...

Date: 01/07/15 15:32
The advantage of being a "foamer"...
Author: aronco

A post today about RR use of PBX frequencies on another topic reminded me of this little tale...

About 1983 or so, I was working for Santa Fe as a trainmaster at Barstow. There were 4 TMs there - covering three shifts a day plus a relief man, and two senior trainmasters who roamed about the yard and tended to the office work during the day. Santa Fe got a new assistant general manager at LA who had been with the Milwaukee Road before coming over to the true faith in the early 80's. This new man was very anxious to change and improve the Santa Fe operations on the region. As such, he was frequently calling the high tower at Barstow with questions about why a particular "hot" train had been delayed. In one of those conversations, he lamented to me " I sure wish we could do better with these important trains. Say, Norm, you worked for SP didn't you? Are they doing any better with their symbol trains?".
Well, not long before this question, a old friend and railfan had told me of a special phone number in SP's San Francisco offices that those in positions of authority on SP could call to get a report on how SP's fleet of "hot" trains had done the previous day, somewhat like the "morning ink" report once common on railroads. I had that number, but was sworn to secrecy as to where it came from. Apparently that number was among the most closely guarded secrets on the SP.
I couldn't stand it - I told Mr. Torpin, the AGM, of that number, and how to access the information. A couple days later, he called again, and in passing, he related to me that SP was having the same kind of issues as we did getting these trains into LA on time. He thanked me for the number and apparently used it a few more times.
About two weeks later, dialing that number produced a recording that, in a gruff voice, announced that the daily morning report was no longer available on the phone, as it was suspected that the number was being used without authority.
Wonder how that happened???

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/15 15:48 by aronco.

Date: 01/07/15 15:57
Re: The advantage of being a "foamer"...
Author: Out_Of_Service

ya know the ole adage ... "LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS"

Posted from Android

Date: 01/07/15 16:36
Author: WAF

When SP went to direct dialing in 1981. The secert number was ( drum roll) 415-541-1707. How did I know, Charlie Babers used the PBX one night and asked for San Francisco 1707 and the phone answered "This is the 1PM OP&C situation report by whoever had put it together, one of the mangers at OP&C. So, knowing that SP San Francisco was prefix 541, I dialed 541-1707, ready to hang up if a human answered. Nope, its was 9PM OP&C situation report by whoever made it up. For the next three years until SP changed the number or discontinued this service for 'us' in the summer of 1984, I dialed it faithfully 3 times a day 7a, 5p, 9p and got the latest up date on everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/15 16:38 by WAF.

Date: 01/07/15 18:05
Author: spnudge

WAF,

Isn't that the way it was done! Someone loaned me a little pocket scanner that had the PBX channels on it. Talk about fun. For years, you knew if you were going to be "Tested" and where. Even with "Lacy's Raiders". Babers jr. was always on the PBX and it was fun.

One of his tests was when they put out the light in the east signal at Welby when I was on the East Coast Peddler. Well, of course I knew in advance via the PBX but I made it fun. I called the caboose and asked him to let me know what the color of the signal was at the east end of Welby when he went by. I was comings to a stop, taking my time and the conductor called me and said it was red. Hum, a lite out test. (On the SP in ABS the signals were wired so if the "Test" knife switch was opened it would shut off power to the bulb on a green indication. EXCEPT if was yellow or red. If it was, the switch was by-passed and it showed a yellow or red aspect. Well, we were trying to make San Ardo for a west man but had to head in at San Lucas because of the test. We headed in, lined up behind and pulled down to the cross over at the east end of the siding to wait. (When we went by the stored beet cars at Welby, I looked back and there was Charlie's car stashed behind some cars on White Horse Rd.)

The moment we came to a stop, I left "Pool Side" on the engine and headed for the little store. When I got back, there was Charlie in the cab, waiting to give me a test on the rules. (Bob was pissed because I left him there alone.) First thing he asked me was, "Whats in the bag?" I said Coors Charlie, they were out of Bud." he had to look in the bag. It was soda. Then he asked why I was concerned about what color the signal was at Welby when the box went by. I told him and explained how the signals were set up. Long Pause. The west man was going by and Pool Side was giving him a roll. Charlie then asked me why I didn't stop back 500 feet from the fouling point. I told him it was a cross-over and the rail I was on went out another 30 cars to a grain elevator. In order to leave, the brakeman had to line 2 switches so I could proceed. (If any switch was opened it would shunt the TC on the main and stop any trains coming to San Lucas)

With that he stormed off the power got in his car and we headed towards SLO.

There are a lot of stories out there.

Nudge

Date: 01/07/15 18:36

Lots of good stuff on those PBX channels in those days, managers blowing fuses over little things, pulling tests, calling the DS to find out what was coming and when. Those nightly litanys between RLK and OPC gave you a good insight that the SP was not doing well as what BFB was telling the stockholders. Always good to hear your stories, Nudge

Date: 01/07/15 20:36
Author: Westbound

When I heard that droning report on the PBX I would temporarily block that channel on my radio, having a serious lack of interest in the subject. Never thought it was something secret since the PBX channels were known to be open to anyone with a tune-able VHF FM radio. My old SP phone book shows the OP&C numbers were mostly in the 1900 series. The low 1700 series were assigned to buyers in the Purchases & Materials department where, strangely, 1707 was not listed.

aronco Wrote:

... Apparently that number was among the most closely guarded secrets on the SP...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/15 20:37 by Westbound.

Date: 01/07/15 22:32
Author: stash

I used to listen to that report every morning on my scanner. Found it fascinating.

Date: 01/08/15 09:24
Author: imrl

The UP in Kansas City still has a daily update line. I used to call it but haven't in a very long time. Covers daily train counts, recrews, train problems, curfews, and on time performances in general.

Date: 01/08/15 13:51
Author: Englewood

In the Chicago Terminal the Rock Island had a PBX channel used by supervision.
I forget the frequency but is was in the normal railroad range.
When activated from the field the switchboard operator came on and connected the
mobile unit with the desired office.
I had a 4 channel crystal Realistic scanner that I would bring to some of the
quieter tower jobs at night so I could keep tabs on the TM in case they were
planning a surprise visit.

Date: 01/09/15 07:48
Author: ntharalson

I had an old Radio Shack scanner on a trip to New Mexico in 1991. As the
wife and I rolled through Amarillo, TX, it locked onto a PBX channel where
several ATSF managers were discussing a minor derailment somewhere and
whether or not they should call out Hulcher. Made for a fascinating ten
minutes of listening on cost control.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/09/15 12:26
Author: joeygooganelli

CSX's PBX is still active in the Cincinnati area. It's on channel 19-77 or 87-52. Every once in a while, I'll still tone up the phone and call someone. A railfan friend says that the caller ID still shows it as Chessie System when I call.

Joe

Date: 01/11/15 07:27
Author: ATSF5964

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had an old Radio Shack scanner on a trip to New
> Mexico in 1991. As the
> wife and I rolled through Amarillo, TX, it locked
> onto a PBX channel where
> several ATSF managers were discussing a minor
> derailment somewhere and
> whether or not they should call out Hulcher. Made
> for a fascinating ten
> minutes of listening on cost control.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Had a similar experience near Bakersfield, probably around 1990. There was either a derailment or collision involving a helper set, with injuries, and the PBX calls were thick and fast. Management was getting people out of bed with instructions to "get there right away and don't let the crew talk to ANYONE, especially news media"...

Date: 01/11/15 14:11
Author: aronco

We ( Santa Fe supervision ) were told to be very careful what was said on the PBX channels after a certain television station overheard some discussions about a derailment or accident. About 1973 or 74 I was working the night TM's job at Pico Rivera. About 10pm or so, the Watson Yard (LA Harbor) to Barstow train went roaring by the tower at Rivera yard. About 15 minutes later, the "Harbor" train called the DS and said they went into emergency in La Mirada, 15 miles East of Los Angeles. As the engineer was talking to the dispatcher, he sort of used "Houston, we have a problem" response as he reported a huge explosion some ways back in his train.
The other TM on duty and I jumped into the company car and drove down the 5 freeway (remember when you could drive fast on the 5?) as fast as we could. When we were about 2 miles from the apparent location of the train we watched another orange fireball light up the sky! The other TM with was quite religious but his expletives over the fireball were to remember!
A few hours later, I was wandering about the wreckage of the derailment. Behind me, LA County fire trucks were pouring millions of gallons of water by snorkels on some tank cars lying on an embankment to keep them from rupturing from heat of other burning wreckage. The Superintendent in San Bernardino called on the radio and told me to get the waybills for the Harbor train and go to a phone and call him. I went to a 7/11 nearby and got a pocket full of quarters and called him on a payphone in front of the store. I began reading the information off the waybills for the cars that were derailed to him. As I did, I noticed the back of my neck was getting very warm. The only think I could think of was the fire nearby had mushroomed in size. I paused, and turned about to see three huge spotlights mounted on a TV camera with the proud peacock emblem. The news crew had been filming me as I read off the waybill information to the boss. The news crew probably thought I was quite rude. I am sure I did enhance my chance at stardom as I suggested what they could do with their equipment. I returned to the phone and the superintendent's conversation. He chuckled a bit - and told me my chance for a job in public relations didn't look good!
That's why the PBX phones were dangerous.

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 01/11/15 19:19
Author: Coast

Norm that was late Oct 1974 .I was on the Los Angeles signal gang . I remember we had one main back in service by 730 pm the next night. Gary Nelson atsf/amtrak enger.

Date: 01/11/15 20:58
Author: Waybiller

Norm,
I bet a copy of that video would break a record for views here on TrainOrders!

Date: 01/12/15 03:04
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a old friend and railfan had told me of a special phone
> number in SP's San Francisco offices that those in
> positions of authority on SP could call to get a
> report on how SP's fleet of "hot" trains had done
> the previous day, somewhat like the "morning ink"
> report once common on railroads. I had that
> number, but was sworn to secrecy as to where it
> came from. Apparently that number was among the
> most closely guarded secrets on the SP.

Ah yes, the Operations, Planning & Control report. It may have been a closely guarded number, but not for long. I used to call it a lot and noted that it was not an 800 number. It had a 415 area code but, happily, never appeared on my phone bill.

I may, or may not, have been instrumental in furnishing it to the late, great Dick Stephenson, who was one of the biggest Espee fans I knew and was, at the time, writing the SP column for CTC BOARD magazine. The OP&C report furnished him with a lot of useful information.

We never could figure out what the "Cotton Belt index" was.

The individuals who worked at One Market Plaza and composed and recorded the various OP&C reports would identify themselves by name at the beginning of the recording. One guy was named Charlie Pope. One time Dick was running short of individuals to give credit to when they would report various tidbits of information for his column and he once credited a news item to Charlie. I hope that didn't get him in trouble. For the Santa Fe column, we also joked that a certain person by the name of H.D. "King" Fish might be a good name as a contributor.

Speaking of the PBX frequencies, one time I overheard LA Terminal Superintendent George V. DeLellis "ripping a new one" to a subordinate because, among other things, he was angry that too much traffic from Delores to West Colton was being routed via Alhambra and causing unnecessary congestion at the LATC Shops complex. He was stressing in no uncertain terms that more of that type of traffic needed to be routed via Los Nietos and Bartolo.

A lot of railfans in the L.A. area may not be aware of it, but the line that runs from Los Nietos to Bartolo via DT Junction was a relative late-comer, being built in the early-to-mid 1950s. SP had to hammer out trackage rights over the UP between Bartolo and City of Industry before they could build that line. The intent was, obviously, to try and keep trains out of the congestion of downtown Los Angeles.

Date: 01/12/15 07:01

Cotton Belt index was the cars interchanged to the Cotton Belt each day, just like the Portland, Ogden gateways

Date: 01/14/15 09:36
Author: kk5ol

In the '70's I had a scanner @ home and in my truck. I could keep tabs on quite a lot of the SP business. The Terminal Supt. @ Englewood (Mckeown) would key-up the operator & ask for ext. "426 or 427" every morning abt. 0430 and get a 'line-up' from the 'Super Chief'. Sometimes the chief disp. would be busy and woe be cast upon the poor subordinate that took the call without knowing everything about 'everything' on the railroad. Otherwise during the day there was always conversations interesting to Railfans. These were crystal or comb programmed scanners. Sure was nice to get a programmable scanner in the '80's.

In the days that answering machines were getting more prevalent, it seems some of the railroaders (usually on the MoP PBX) would direct dial someone's number with a pretty raucous greeting just for everyone to hear. By the early '90's few company officers would even bother to call them down.

RailNet802, out

Date: 01/15/15 06:23
Author: ShastaDaylight

Nice photo of your car on the westbound "California Zephyr" at Salt Lake City! Thanks for sharing, and for the story...

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0882 seconds