Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > A glimpse into the past.

Date: 02/21/15 17:46
A glimpse into the past.
Author: eminence_grise

Back around 1981, I was working as a fireman on the Via "Canadian" between Revelstoke and Kamloops BC on the CPR.

It was a warm evening, the train was half an hour late, and passengers and crew alike were standing around on the platform of Revelsoke station.

A buddy had mentioned that his grandfather had come from the coast for a visit, and that he had been a railroader in Revelstoke some forty years earlier.

We met on the platform, the three of us, and Mr.Kelly talked of his railway career.

Like all other engine staff of the time, he started as a shop labourer in the Revelstoke roundhouse and back shop. He showed initiative and motivation and soon had to make the choice if he was going to be a machinist or become an engine wiper, which lead to hostler, then fireman and finally to engineer.

One area where he showed expertise was in the air brake systems of the day. Local managers noted his skill and interest, and invited him to become an air brake instructor. He duly took the instruction necessary to teach others, and started a new career path, complete with an old passenger car to serve as a mobile classroom. He found that many engine crew were eager to learn more about train air brakes.

I should point out that Mr.Kelly was an Irishman from Dublin, who would have been a boy during the Easter Uprising of 1916.
However, he loved his new country, Canada,and treated his students well and as an equal as an instructor.

One day, one of his bosses sat in on one of his classes. After the class , the master mechanic was critical of the teaching. "Why are you teaching these people so much, and taking questions. They are workers, they can't understand much that you tell them. Just teach them the basics, that is all they need".

The attitude displayed by the master mechanic was typical for CPR of the period. He considered himself socially superior to the workforce and felt threatened by having them gain extra knowledge.

Mr.Kelly listened respectfully to his boss, but he decided then and there that he had no future with the railway. While he was learning about air brakes himself, he came into contact with those who were operating the International Correspondence School air brake instruction car.

For a modest fee, railroaders could learn about air brakes through the mail, with occasional visits to an ICS air brake instruction car. Mr.Kelly had been a student of ICS, and he approached them to become an instructor.

To make a long story short, he became an ICS air brake instructor for all of western Canada, and did so for twenty five years.
He got to know railroaders from CP, CN, the PGE and other shortlines.

During my years with CP, I worked with several engineers who had taken the ICS air brake courses.

By the time I met him, Mr.Kelly was in his late 80's or early 90's. He was well turned out in a suit and although frail in appearance, his mind was sharp.

He was however somewhat sad, his wife of many years had recently passed on and his life was lonely without her. He enjoyed spending time with his adult grandson and his family . He passed on about five years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/15 19:22 by eminence_grise.

Date: 02/21/15 18:15
Re: A glimpse into the past.
Author: roustabout

Thank you!

Date: 02/21/15 18:23
Author: kdrtrains

Yep, great story!

KR

Date: 02/21/15 19:38
Author: SPLoopConductor

A very interesting aspect from behind the scenes, in the shop crafts. Good story, thanks for sharing!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 02/22/15 08:41
Author: ButteStBrakeman

SPLoopConductor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A very interesting aspect from behind the scenes,
> in the shop crafts. Good story, thanks for
> sharing!
>
> Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!
>
> Larry

I agree Larry, GREAT story!!

V

SLOCONDR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0837 seconds