Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Jack Wilson

Date: 02/22/15 09:10
Jack Wilson
Author: whistlepig

I believe this was taken at Fullerton. Anyone who spent any time at Amtrak Los Angeles will recognize this class man who was responsible for all San Diegan/Surfliner movements up and down the West Coast. He was a tough cookie when it came to operations, but he was a genuine gentleman. He was also responsible for saving a lot of jobs from some who never knew it. A lot of A/Cs and conductors who were just there to collect a paycheck will never understand his ways. I'm not sure why, Jack and I always got along just fine but, his passing has really touched me. We sure had our share of disagreements. But, I can honestly say I was many times in awe of his intelligence. Pragmatic? Yes, and always understanding. RIP my old friend.

Date: 02/22/15 09:33
Re: Jack Wilson
Author: RetireMe

Amen to that!

Not a soul appreciated him until his retirement. Some purely despised him just because he was "Jack".

Sometimes you never know how good you have it until it is gone.

Date: 02/22/15 17:00
Author: espee99

Met him once on a Starlight detour, first class all the way.

Date: 02/22/15 17:58
Author: CShaveRR

Not sure I'd recognize him...when I knew him he had a full head of hair.

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 02/23/15 08:41
Author: spider1319

I think this is the same person that that did our rules class/ orientation 11-86 during the crew takeover from the freight railroads? Good guy and a railfan if I am correct.I am sorry to hear the bad news. Bill Webb

Date: 02/23/15 11:55
Author: kdrtrains

It seems that many "managers" that know their jobs and do their jobs and require others to do their jobs are hated! Why do you suppose that is?

Date: 02/23/15 21:26
Author: XWPgandy

I want to say that Jack was one of those people that I've worked with at Amtrak & recognized that he had superior knowledge/skills in railroading...and that's hard for someone like me to admit. Jack you have, and always will, my deepest respect for the thing that I love - railroading!

Date: 02/24/15 07:53
Author: CShaveRR

Definitely was a railfan, Mr. Webb...and he excelled at that, too. I would have been a railfan no matter what, but I got to know Jack as a teenager. Strangest mix of intelligent, devout, adventurous, and bawdy I'd ever encountered! The adventures I was taken on by/with him!

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 02/27/15 09:23
Author: stanhunter

Jack was a class act and he kept the railroad running like no other. That's a great photograph - I saw that expression more than a few times, but he had a sense of humor as well. He was missed after he pulled the pin, but it's sad that he didn't get the amount of retirement time that he deserved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds