Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Tails from the shop

Date: 02/28/15 11:37
Tails from the shop
Author: trainmanwes

Little about my self. Started with the CB&Q in Denver as a Coach cleaner in 1964 then promoted to Electrician Helper in the 23rd st. coach yard, working trains Texas Zephyr, Denver Zephyr and 7&8 that ran to Dallas Texas. The Texas Zephyr was originally built as the Denver Zephyr and was interesting account was very old at the time I worked on it and most electrical circuitry was a a night mare, lucky had several old timers that knew the train backwards and forwards, they started with the train when new.

I was again promoted to Electrician Apprentice and assigned to the Diesel Shop at 23rd st. I really liked working the E5s that the C&S used on the Texas Trains and when train time came watching everybody spring into action to get the locomotives out of the Diesel Shop. tested then to the Denver Union Station. When business was big in the summer time the Denver Zephyr was a two section train requiring 4 E8s or 5 for 1st section and 3 E7s or mixed E8 for the second train. All Denver Zephyr power came in on the morning DZ and we needed to have the power ready by 2:00P.M. Some change out happened if one of the diesels required more work than we had time for. Once all work had been signed of by the craftsman the Shop Foreman gave the start all engines when this was done we had 4 or 5 E unites running in the shop and it was ready for a power check all MU cables up and air lines hose connected we went though each unite taking each engine off line. Hostler would place lead locomotive in 1 throttle and we would put #1 engine on line take off line and do #2 engine checking each load regulator to see it was moving this was done on each locomotive This showed that all power circuits were working.

Out the door they would go,we could finally breath fresh air then fire the steam boilers for the train, to the Depot they would go tie on train, Chicago bound. Just a little of what I and 15 others did.

Wes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 20:53 by trainmanwes.

Date: 02/28/15 14:18
Re: Tails from the shop
Author: 90mac

Thank you for the look into what it takes to get a train moving.
TAH

Date: 02/28/15 17:33
Author: WP-M2051

Wes,

I'm glad you're still with us! Amazing the things the railroads did when they ran their own passenger trains. Then 1971 came along and everything was quickly forgotten, especially the sense of urgency. Before anyone freaks out, I worked for NRPC for 19 years.

Date: 02/28/15 20:27
Author: 567Chant

Nifty insight.
Thanx!
...Lorenzo

Date: 03/01/15 11:09
Author: BDPerry

I'm curious about when "the Denver Zephyr was a two section train".

The 1956 edition of this train, along with the coaches and Pullmans, were 3 feature cars: a Vista Dome "Chuckwagon" coffee shop lounge, a full diner and a Vista Dome Parlor Lounge Observation.

When 2 sections were operated what was the makeup of the trains? Was one section all Pullman and the other the coaches or was the 1st section the standard equipment and the 2nd section pool equipment.

Bruce Perry
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/02/15 08:49
Author: ntharalson

BDPerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious about when "the Denver Zephyr was a
> two section train".
>
> The 1956 edition of this train, along with the
> coaches and Pullmans, were 3 feature cars: a Vista
> Dome "Chuckwagon" coffee shop lounge, a full diner
> and a Vista Dome Parlor Lounge Observation.
>
> When 2 sections were operated what was the makeup
> of the trains? Was one section all Pullman and the
> other the coaches or was the 1st section the
> standard equipment and the 2nd section pool
> equipment.

Without having my consist list handy, the second section
of the DZ, trains #1 and #10, (don't ask cause I don't know,)
ran as an all coach train with the "Chuckwagon" car. The
first section carried the sleepers, the diner, and the
Vista Dome parlor/lounge/observation. This was a blunt
end car with diaphragms that operated mid-train in winter.

It should be noted the DZ carried two heavyweight coaches,
albeit painted silver and stream-styled, between Chicago
and Burlington where they were dropped. Also, at one
time, it carried the cars of the Denver-Alliance train
via Brush, all heavyweights.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/02/15 12:21
Author: twropr

Back in the day did the Q inspect the power early enough so that #10 and CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR #18 would be able to depart Denver on time with good power? Was it fairly rare to have an issue with a unit once it had been coupled to a train?

Andy

Date: 03/02/15 15:34

BDPerry Wrote:
> I'm curious about when "the Denver Zephyr was a
> two section train".
>
> The 1956 edition of this train, along with the
> coaches and Pullmans, were 3 feature cars: a Vista
> Dome "Chuck wagon" coffee shop lounge, a full diner
> and a Vista Dome Parlor Lounge Observation.
>
> When 2 sections were operated what was the makeup
> of the trains? Was one section all Pullman and the
> other the coaches or was the 1st section the
> standard equipment and the 2nd section pool
> equipment.

As I remember when 2 sections were operated 1st section had Pullmans full diner and rear blunt Lounge Car and some coaches. 2nd sectioned had the consist that would come in on the D&RGW Royal Gorge. When the DZ came in the A:M: the Slumber-car may be 2 of them ,Chuck wagon lounge, coaches were added to the south bound Royal Gorge to Colorado Springs cut off and return to Denver at 3:P.M. with DZ to Depart at 4:00P:M:

Wes

Date: 03/02/15 15:54

twropr Wrote:
> Back in the day did the Q inspect the power early
> enough so that #10 and CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR #18 would
> be able to depart Denver on time with good power?
> Was it fairly rare to have an issue with a unit
> once it had been coupled to a train?
>
> Andy

Power for the evening California Zephyr would come in on the CZ in the A:M: and we had a lot of time to work the 3 E or 4 unites before having to go to the Depot by 7:00 P:M: Denver had 5 spare E unites that we could use if any inbound power had a defect that kept it from being used on a out bound train. It was rare that we would have a defect that kept the unite from being used on a out bound train after coupled into the train at Denver Union Station.

Wes

Date: 03/02/15 18:17
Author: twjurgens

Interesting Wes! Don't see much of you on here.

Date: 03/03/15 08:58
Author: ntharalson

Allow me to correct myself. I checked my consist list
and found the "Chuckwagon" car was on the first section
of the DZ along with a full diner and three or four coaches,
and of course the sleepers. The second section also had a
full diner, a sleeper serving as a dorm car, and the rest
coaches. That's what I get for not having research materials
handy!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/11/15 19:34
Author: Wosborn

In 2013 I purchased the last three surviving (in the US) 1936 DZ cars, which were later relettered for Texas Zephyr service, and moved them from South Dakota to 9300 Highway 290 West, Austin Texas, where they are being restored for static use, lease to commercial tenants. The old electrical lockers are being preserved. These cars are the round end observation car Silver Streak, the cocktail lounge/crew dorm/baggage car Silver Lining, and the coach/Dinette Silver Beam. On the inside of the doors of these lockers are many notes written by the electrical maintainers regarding quirks and particularities of the systems, as guidance to maintainers at other terminals. We are saving all of this writing, not painting over any of it.

- Wm Osborn www.texasenergylaw.com

Date: 03/11/15 23:00
Author: 567Chant

As a troubleshooter (office equipment) I appreciate the notes that I and others make regarding quirks and peculiarities.
The value of the wisdom and efforts of those in the past are so seldom appreciated by those in the present.
My 2ยข.
...Lorenzo

Date: 05/04/15 20:29
Author: Hiawatha114

Thank you for the great stories. Maybe you can shed some light on something I saw in a crew area at Denver Union Station in the early Amtrak era.

My dad and I were given a quick private behind the scenes tour. I noticed a group of small lockers one of which had Texas Zephyr painted on the door
. I don't remember seeing other train names.

Would you recall what that locker might have been all about sir? Thanks very much.

David

Date: 05/04/15 20:33
Author: Hiawatha114

Thanks for your conservation efforts. Would you consider posting photos of those locker messages at some point? Thanks sir.

David

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0969 seconds