Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > A typical day on the SP - eastbounds out of Los Angeles 1981

Date: 04/07/15 10:29
A typical day on the SP - eastbounds out of Los Angeles 1981
Author: bradleymckay

Per many requests here is a list showing a typical day for eastbounds leaving Los Angeles (either from Taylor Yard, LATC or in a one case both) on July 14, 1981.  Traffic levels were generally very good that summer before the slowdown hit it in the fall due to the oncoming severe 1982 recession:

8929 East - LAEST (the old "MSE") - departed LATC 1:53am, 25 loads, 1 empty (a short train, usually ran 30-50 cars during the summer of 1981), conductor DeAro, engineer Marcey

8330 East - LAMFT - departed LATC 4:39am, 54 loads, 1 empty, conductor McFadden, engineer Lopez

7335 East - LAMPT - departed Taylor "A" Yard 5:22am, departed LATC 6:25am, 16 loads, 40 empties, conductor Ristich, engineer Martin

7648 East - LAKCP (GULAP connection) - departed Taylor Yard 8:01am,  21 loads, 67 empties, conductor Rogoza, engineer Gardner (will make a set out and pick up at West Colton)

9065 East - WJECQ (empty beet racks) - departed Taylor Yard 8:39am, 17 loads, 71 empties, conductor Knighten, engineer McDowell

8556 East - LAHOT - departed LATC 9:45am, 67 loads, 1 empty, conductor Gibson, engineer Freeman

5309 East - DOWCY - departed LATC (crew change location) 11:57am, 37 loads, 44 empties, conductor Sertich, engineer Strand

7957 East - LAPXY - departed Taylor Yard 1:10pm, 32 loads, 78 empties, conductor Green, engineer Tortorice (pronounced "Tore - Tore - Ree - Cee")

9117 East - LACIY - departed Taylor Yard 2:40pm, 49 loads, 7 empties, conductor Dearmore, engineer Abernathy

8317 East - LACHT - departed LATC 8:13pm, 14 loads, 1 empty, conductor Banks, engineer Duncan (this is back when SP was trying to build traffic up for this train)

8564 East - LAAVT - departed LATC 10:23pm, 66 loads, 1 empty, conductor Adkins, engineer Bass

8892 East - LAESJ - departed Taylor Yard 10:58pm, 37 loads, 22 empties, conductor Hampton, engineer Myers (will pick up and set out at City of Industry)

Notice there was nothing departing for over 5 hours between 3 and 8pm.  This was pretty common.  It allowed LATC to work westbounds (IF they arrived on time, which many did not).  Late arrivals could turn LATC into a mess quickly and 'ol "Jaws" would be on the radio yelling...

Allen

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/15 10:31 by bradleymckay.

Date: 04/07/15 11:09
Re: A typical day on the SP - eastbounds out of Los Angeles 1981
Author: RRTom

I have wanted to ask these questions for awhile:
When these SP trains would call the dispatcher or the caboose or others on the radio, how would they identify themselves - engine #, train #, alpha symbol?
And what exactly was needed to get the train moving?  How did the DS know they were ready and what was their permission to head out from their terminal?
Thanks!

Date: 04/07/15 11:43
Author: Zephyr

Very nice Allen!  I think I was just starting to work City of Industry as Terminal Superintendent in those days.  Can't remember exactly when we opened up SPRR's "Inland Empire" intermodal facility at City of Industry, but it was probably a little after this timeframe.  Some great memories of the crews and trains that either worked or highballed City of Industry!

Pete

Date: 04/07/15 13:27
Author: ExSPCondr

Trains were always supposed to be identified by their lead engine number.  Most of the time this was true, with a couple of daily exceptions.  The APW or later the APLAA Loaded auto parts for Tweedy and Gemco would often call the trainmaster at the Crest at C of I for setout information with "Auto Parts to the Crest."  Local freights always used their name instead of their number.

Permission to depart a yard on the LA Division was always given by the yardmaster.  Trains out of the A or C yards were allowed to depart by the yardmaster after he checked to see if the Dayton Tower operator could take them out onto the main lines far enough towards Mission Tower to clear so the yardmaster could resume switching.  A train out of the Links or Bullring could not leave until the Links Yardmaster checked with Mission Tower to see if he could take the train.  Mission had to check with the West CTC Dispatcher to see if he wanted the train on the West Main, or if the Shops Yardmaster would allow it to go on the East main to Valley Boulevard where the CTC started on both main tracks.

Trains leaving City of Industry had to have the Crest Trainmaster, or later the Crest Conductor's permission to leave.  Needless to say, the TM or Condr talked with the Dispr to see if he was ready for the train.

Permission to enter or depart West Colton was given by the Crest Herder or the Trim Herder with a movement indicator.

In Roseville back in the day, the Special Instructions read: "Receipt of a Clearance is authority to operate East."  Then: "Eastward trains must not depart without a Hiball from the 245 Herder."  The herder was required to contact the Valley or Mountain dispatcher for permission before giving a hiball.
G

Date: 04/08/15 03:34
Author: mdo

Zephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice Allen!  I think I was just starting to
> work City of Industry as Terminal Superintendent
> in those days.  Can't remember exactly when we
> opened up SPRR's "Inland Empire" intermodal
> facility at City of Industry, but it was probably
> a little after this timeframe.  Some great
> memories of the crews and trains that either
> worked or highballed City of Industry!
>
> Pete

1985 or early 1986 and should have been at Guasti
mdo

Date: 04/08/15 04:36
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

All of the personnel on this page are either retired or have passed away except for engineer Martin..

Date: 04/08/15 08:02
Author: Zephyr

Agree with you, MDO!  Should have been east of City of Industry.  Burke and I had suggested property located between Walnut and Pomona.  I can still remember Lacy "instructing" us to make it happen at City of Industry.  Period.  End of story!
PKB

Date: 04/08/15 09:21
Author: cewherry

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
> All of the personnel on this page are either
> retired or have passed away except for engineer
> Martin..

I'm still around, albeit removed from the LA scene AND retired. If records
for the 1970-1979 time frame are ever unearthed you'll find me.

Charlie

Date: 04/08/15 13:30
Author: DRGW5502

I bet Rogoza was upset it wasn't a 53XX on the point huh

Date: 04/09/15 16:49
Author: HardYellow

Conductor Russ Ristich, SP 7335, third train down the list, he lives down in Green Valley, Arizona, south of Tucson about 30 miles. I just took him to the doctor this morning. Russ is fading fast.

Date: 04/10/15 16:36
Author: ProAmtrak

I'm still amazed how SP even handled all that traffic to LATC since it is probably one of the smallest Intermodal Yards around! They should've put all the intermodal stuff at the old Basin Yard where today you got the Metro Gold Line is at and that huge feild! It would've been a lot easier!

Date: 04/10/15 17:43
Author: ButteStBrakeman

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> I'm still amazed how SP even handled all that
> traffic to LATC since it is probably one of the
> smallest Intermodal Yards around! They should've
> put all the intermodal stuff at the old Basin Yard
> where today you got the Metro Gold Line is at and
> that huge feild! It would've been a lot easier!

Where is the "Basin yard"?

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 04/10/15 17:50
Author: ExSPCondr

The Links and the Bullring, Virlon.

Date: 04/10/15 18:46
Author: WAF

ExSPCondr Wrote:
> The Links and the Bullring, Virlon.

They did in 1984 until the LAITC was built in 1986 near Long Beach.> You have to hand it to the SP how they made LA Shops work in a cramped location

Date: 04/10/15 19:34
Author: ButteStBrakeman

ExSPCondr Wrote:
> The Links and the Bullring, Virlon.

Thanks George. I had never heard the term Bsin yard on the SP.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 04/19/15 20:26
Author: JGFuller

All those familiar West End names ... sigh.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds