Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > 3rd Trick Blues

Date: 05/20/15 18:30
3rd Trick Blues
Author: retcsxcfm

At one time as a carman I was forced to a 3rd trick job.That job consisted of working at the Seaboard
Air Line Tampa Yard,working the phosphate elevator at Seddon Island (just across the channel) and
nearby Tampa Union station.
I need to break this story down and tell about each segment.
At the time, my work car was an old Ford Pinto.When I had to go to Seddon Island it meant crossing
a combination railroad and automobile bascule bridge.The bridge did not have any railings to stop
your car from going into the drink.I hated the trip because the Pinto wheels were about the same width
of the railroad gauge.Every once in a while the tires would get caught in between the rails and timber
and almost throw the Pinto and myself into water.That is scary number one.
Scary number two.The SAL used covered hoppers for phosphate at this terminal.These cars had four
hopper outlets that had to be manually closed after they were unloaded at the elevator.Using a "kick
back" switch after the cars were emptyed they would roll back to the outbound yard.There were two
laborers,one on each side to close the doors.They used a long  steel bar to do so.When there were no
doors to close they stood the bar up between the tracks.On my first time over there it was damp and
a heavy fog made it hard to see.They dropped a cut of empty cars into a track next to me and scared
the S--- out of me I took off running-----------yep right into one of those steel bars.Let me outta here!

More to come
Uncle Joe

Date: 05/20/15 20:32
Re: 3rd Trick Blues
Author: twjurgens

Neat story!

Date: 05/21/15 11:38
Author: SilvertonRR100

As long as you can laugh about it later!  These are the things nightmares are made of!

Rob

Date: 05/23/15 16:06
Author: SCL985

Good story, give us more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds