Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Shasta Daylight Protest

Date: 05/26/15 10:10
Shasta Daylight Protest
Author: railroadbill

When the SP was petitioning to reduce service on the Shasta Daylight, the UC Davis Railroad Club held a protest at the Davis, CA depot when the Cascade came through.  We also published a 50 page report on the Shasta Daylight.  I didn't keep a copy, but I bought one on eBay several years ago (and I can't locate THAT one right now).  This photo was published in the Sacramento Bee around 1967; that's me in the black cowboy hat.  The man in the middle is Glenn Lee, President of the RR club.

Date: 05/26/15 13:32
Re: Shasta Daylight Protest
Author: WAF

More like 1965. The SPHTS Trainline had a great story on the Davis RR group and the SP petitions

Date: 06/09/15 14:38
Author: HogheadMike

I take it the train (at the time) turned north at Davis and ran up the west valley line all the way to where it joined in with the current valley sub north of Chico?

Date: 06/09/15 15:43

HogheadMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take it the train (at the time) turned north at
> Davis and ran up the west valley line all the way
> to where it joined in with the current valley sub
> north of Chico?
Yes

Date: 06/12/15 20:56
Author: ProAmtrak

That's a good pention sign Bill since DJ Russell hired those Stanford Cronies which really ruined morale on the SP during that time!

Date: 06/13/15 07:26

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a good pention sign Bill since DJ Russell
> hired those Stanford Cronies which really ruined
> morale on the SP during that time!
Really?

Date: 06/16/15 06:17
Author: railwaybaron

The same circle of friends that were in the Davis Railroad Club went on to initiate the UCD bus system,  Portland, OR and Sacramento, CA, light rail systems and Amtrak California regional services among other transit successes. 

Date: 07/19/15 10:44
Author: coach

As a fellow UCD alum, this makes my heart swell with pride!

And my college roommate from UCD now works with the CAPITOL CORRIDOR folks in management, so the tradition continues!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds